Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Electrolytes;POTS syndrome;Small Amounts of Carbs Helpful?;Living More Natural

I had a few gut reactions this week. I am pretty sure it was from dried-out meat, in the slow-cooker a little too long. I think that my gut "overdrives" with too lean or dried-out meat. Also with too fatty meats or visible fats, I get diarrhea and sometimes gut "overdrive".

When I say gut "overdrive", I mean my gut seems to overproduce bacteria, and I have colon pain from bloating, too many solid bowel movements, and too much feces based on the small input.

I believe all of this relates to electrolytes. I don't use salt. I think I am especially sensitive to electrolyte changes. 

I may also have found an explanation for the fainting episodes that I had in this last year. I read about POTS syndrome (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). This causes blackouts when standing or changing balance. It can prevented by keeping electrolyte balance, and eating smaller meals. I think that could help me.

So, I am going to be more careful to not overcook my meat, and also avoid very fatty meats or visible fat. I will also give up on 4 hours eating/20 hours fasting, in favor of eating small meals throughout the day.

I am also considering the usefulness of eating small amounts of carbs, such as in dairy or organ meats, or perhaps even occasional and small amounts of ancestrally appropriate fruit or vegetable carbs.

My ancestors in the T2 haplogroup of Eastern Europe lived in a frozen tundra for most of the last 50,000 years. There was generally just meat available, via a variety of animals. Killing a lactating ruminant meant some small amounts of dairy might have been available, (carbs there), organ meats (carbs there), and seasonal very small amounts of ancient ice-age fruits and vegetables such as berries, parsnips, and turnips (carbs there). I wonder if that small amount of carbs inherent in organ meats, dairy, and occasional seasonal berries or root vegetables, may help a little with electrolyte balance, especially when not able to eat a very high fat diet? I am going to try it.

It has been about three days of this new experiment. Knock on wood, so far so good!

In other news, I am so happy to be more and more natural every year. In the past five years, since going carnivore, I have dropped oral contraceptives, dye and henna on my hair, eyeliner, shampoo and conditioner, deodorant, lotions, body wash, supplements, doctor visits, and in the last week, corrective lenses! I am so happy and feel so good!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts