Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Variety in More Ways Than One

I have really been enjoying the 100% grassfed and grass-finished lamb tendons. I have been cooking them in water to cover, with a cut of beef of top of it for flavor, for 12 hours in the slow-cooker. The lamb tendons are quite small, just two bites each. Like meat gummies!

But I have been having nighttime foot cramps since eating the tendon. I realized that I have been eating too lean. The tendons are 97% protein. I have been eating a lot of them, so my fat to protein ratio the last few days actually has flipped from my normal 70% of calories fat to 30% of calories protein, to the opposite, 70% protein to 30% fat. That is too lean for my electrolyte balance. So I will need to remember when I eat tendon, that I need to eat fat with it!

It seems to have affected my bodyfat as well. My bodyfat has gone up in just a few days from 14% to 17%. So that is not good!

The main lesson to me is although I really enjoy the variety of organ meats and offal, I need to remember that they are not meant to be eaten on their own. They must be eaten with added fat! We need the variety of fat and meat together. I will go back to mostly eating fatty cuts like brisket, tongue, and short ribs, and if I have lean cuts like shank or tendon, I will have some marrow fat with them. It's important to have that bit of fat with each cut!

##




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts