Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Maintaining Mineral Balance

Zero Carb Keto

Maintaining Mineral Balance


I have been following a recent mission of going zero waste and plastic-free. It's been a fun challenge! The hardest part was to figure out a way to get my meats without them being packed in plastic or paper lined with plastic.

I thought of the idea of eating canned fatty fish instead. I found canned sardines, salmon with skin, and kippered herring, and the prices per pound when I calculated it out were actually pretty similar to the prices for grassfed beef and lamb from my local farmers!

I have about a month left of local grassfed beef, so I thought I might slowly start bringing the fish into my diet. I picked up some from the local health food store and had some for dinner last night.

Right away, I noticed that canned fish is not very appetizing-looking. Then I also noticed there were some softened bones in there. I know some people like to eat those softened bones, or even go out of their way to try and incorporate bone broth, etc. But I have noticed that I actually need to avoid bones and other foods that are high in calcium or I get headaches and other problems such as foot cramps. So I tried to avoid the obvious bones.

I immediately had some digestive problems, starting with a lot of really uncomfortable belching. Throughout the night I had terrible foot cramps, and in fact had to finally get out of bed because it was impossible to sleep.

I also noticed the dry patch of skin above my left eye came back too! Which I think is related to too much salt intake. Salt is a very delicate balance for me! We need some for our bodies to make hydrochloric acid for digestion, but too much seems to cause me to have dry skin.

Unfortunately, canned fish is just not going to work for me. There is something about it that upsets my mineral balance.

So I think I need to stay with beef and lamb, but ask for it to be wrapped in compostable cellophane which I will provide. I am emailing vendors to find ones that have the compostable cellophane bags that are not themselves packed in plastic and shipped in plastic. I am hoping that maybe at least one of the vendors might! At the very least, I guess one plastic bag is better than one hundred. But zero is best!


Grassfed beef roast with beef marrow fat




Comments

  1. I just made a comment on your post from yesterday and today's post answered my question. haha I'm sorry that the fish did not work out for you. Our bodies are so complex. I appreciate all the experimentation you do to inform the rest of us. Thanks Mellie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Yes, our bodies are SO complex! I'm hoping to find a plastic-free to still get beef and lamb!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts