Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Plastic-Free Carnivory, Is It Possible?

Zero Carb Keto

Plastic-Free Carnivory, Is It Possible?


I have been so happy lately with my plastic-free mission, for everything except food!

Hibiscus is working beautifully for my hair instead of shampoo, The Keeper 100% rubber menstrual cup is far more comfortable than "disposable" products, my eyeglasses work far better than my contact lenses did, my lips and hands are now free of balm and moisturizer addiction, my skin is soft and supple with just using locally made hard soap, my house fresh and clean with just diluted vinegar. It feels great to only compost instead of producing garbage!

But finding good plastic-free meat is still an ongoing problem.

I had tried getting meat in paper, only to learn that the paper is always lined with plastic. I tried canned meat, but that was just too lean and was not palatable.

I tried traveling an hour away to a chain health food store that stocks fresh grassfed beef at the counter. I had them put my purchases in my provided compostable BioBag food storage bags. But their beef comes all the way from Australia, and even worse, it is so lean as to be basically inedible. So I will not buy that anymore.

So I have had to think of some other ideas. My plan now is ordering wild caught mackerel and sablefish from a health food chain store quite a drive away, and local eggs from farmers who reuse the cartons. But sadly, no more beef or lamb, since locally raised grassfed meats only come in plastic or plastic-lined paper. I do not want to eat grain-fed beef or lamb, for both health and environmental reasons.

If I can get Atlantic mackerel and sablefish, then I will still have a great fat/protein intake for ketosis.

But if I have to get other fish, that means eating a lower fat intake, unfortunately, because I cannot find any suitable fats on the side that do not involve plastic. Dairy fats just do not work me, tallow is waxy and affects my gut, oils are unpalatable and get caught in my windpipe, and marrow fat only comes in plastic.

I have only about one day left of my juicy local grassfed beef, then I have to start this new plan! I hope it works!



Grassfed ground beef


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts