Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Variety, Tastiness, and Affordability

I am on a mission to pay off the rest of my mortgage on my new house in 2020! In order to stay on task, I will need to keep my food spending down. It helped to get a whole ram (95 lbs of processed meat!) from my local sheep rancher for under $3 per pound! But I can't rely on that happening again this year. So I have also been eating organ meats. They provide variety, great nutrition, and affordability.

Most organ meats are too lean for ketosis. So I either make a paté with them with added reserved mutton fat, or I eat them with sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus) which are very fatty. Together with sweetbreads, they come out just right for me, around 50/50 fat/protein. 50/50 fat/protein allows me to maintain good, normal, regular digestion and remain in ketosis.

I have made paté with both beef kidney as well as beef liver. I cook the kidney in the slow cooker first, then macerate it with a sharp knife, then mash it together with melted reserved mutton fat. Then refrigerate. For the liver, I macerate it first, then gently fry it in the reserved mutton fat, mash together, then refrigerate. (I don't have a food processor.)

I haven't tried making pate with beef heart yet. It is a very dense muscle, so that might be hard to macerate. But maybe if it was slightly frozen, that might help.

I find that the reserved fats from the slow cooker are more digestible and palatable than tallow fat. The cooking fats are from intra- and intermuscular fat, whereas tallow is usually visceral or subcutaneous fat. They have different compositions. Tallow usually seems very waxy to me, less palatable, and harder to digest. The intra- and intermuscular fat is creamier, tasty, and more digestible. And of course marrow fat is best of all! But can be hard to come by and expensive. Luckily, when I had my ram processed, I had it cut into bone-in chunks, so many of the pieces have some nice marrow fat!

I had tried buying some mackerel fillets since they are basically the only fatty enough fish for ketosis. They are delicious, but salted. I noticed the salt makes me gain a pound!

In other news, I actually got two head colds this season. I haven't had a cold in many, many years (maybe 7 or more?). I am blaming it on eating too much pork, which reduces immunity. To recover, I switched back to purely ruminant animal meat and fat (mutton and beef). Also drinking hot water. I also turned up the heat in my house from 67F up to 69F. We get colds when our internal temperature drops under 98.6F, and mine has definitely been running very low. I am also doing combo uva and uvb tanning beds for increasing my vitamin D in the winter. So these things should help!

In my chemical free living update, I am now 6 months since using henna to dye my hair. I have let it go natural. I have been using diluted white vinegar instead of shampoo for four months, and that is working great. It is much more gentle and my hair is much more manageable, healthy, and shiny. I also have been tying my long hair up in a silk scarf at night to keep it healthier.

Also, I have decided to not worry too much that my DEXA scan said I was 29% bodyfat. I am really pleased with how I look and I am very visually lean. I don't feel like I need to change anything.

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts