Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Cuts II - Fish!

I mentioned in a previous post about some certain cuts of meat that are already inherently at a ketogenic ratio, for example, beef short ribs and sweetbreads. I wanted to do a little more exploration of potential cuts of fish that are high fat enough to be ketogenic. I am interested in adding more fish to my diet if possible, since fish is such a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, which are excellent for overall health and wellness. Also, fish provides some more variety of nutrients!

I have done some research and found only a few types of fish that are inherently fatty enough to be in the ketogenic ratio without added fat. European eel, mackerel, and sable fish. According to the Slovak nutrition database, European eel has a 70/30 fat/protein ratio. However, in the USA nutrition database, eel only has a 57/43 fat/protein ratio! So I guess there is some difference between American and European eel? Regardless, I have been unable to find plain, unseasoned eel for sale anywhere.

According to the USA nutrition database, salted mackerel has a 74/24 fat/protein ratio. I was able to find salted mackerel at the local Asian grocery market. It is tasty and moist, but some might find it a bit fishy.

The other keto fish cut is sablefish, also known as black cod (although it isn't cod). According to the USA nutrition database, sablefish has a 71/29 fat/protein ratio. I was able to special order this fish through Whole Foods. It is a delicious, creamy white fish with a spectacular crispy black skin!

Some other fish cuts which are pretty high in fat, but will need a little added fat to reach a ketogenic ratio, are halibut (67/33), herring (64/36), American shad (63/37) and Atlantic mackerel (61/39).

Salted Mackerel


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts