Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Cost Per Calorie

Zero Carb Keto

Cost Per Calorie


Sometimes I find it helpful to analyze my food cost per calorie, rather than just by weight. Because nutrient-dense, bio-available calories are really what I need!

In a previous post, I had calculated cost per calorie for some of the most common items I eat:

Price Per Calorie in Cents (USA)
Marrow 1.37
Veal share 1
Lamb share .78
Beef brisket .42
Beef tongue .21

Since I have gone plastic-free/zero waste, I am no longer purchasing those items. So let me calculate my new food costs per calorie!

Fatworks goat milk ghee: $22/226g = 9.73cents per gram
calories: 9.29/gram
cost per calorie: 1.04cents

Canned grassfed beef: $162/9528g = 1.7cents per gram
calories: 1.65/gram
cost per calorie: 1.03cents

Local pastured eggs: $4.65/dozen/672g = .5cents per gram
calories: 1.55/gram
cost per calorie: 0.3cents

Wild caught fish from meat counter: $13/454g = 2.86cents per gram
calories: 1.55/gram
cost per calorie: 1.84cents

So this shows that local eggs are the greatest value per calorie, and the beef and ghee are about the same, and still cheaper than I was paying for marrow fat. The fish, as I had expected, is much more expensive per calorie!

The farm that sells the canned grassfed beef also sells canned turkey and pork at a lower price, so if I chose to occasionally eat those, they would be even more economical.

I also wanted to share a photo of my hair still looking clean, shiny and full of body even two days after washing with washing soda!


Hair washed two days ago with washing soda


Hair washed two days ago with washing soda



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts