Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Dairy Problematic!

Zero Carb Keto

Dairy Problematic!


After going plastic free, I had to give up my naturally fatty lamb cuts because they all came in plastic or plastic-lined paper. Instead, I am purchasing canned grassfed beef which needs a side fat since it is rather lean.

I prefer grassfed beef marrow as a side fat, but unfortunately marrow bones come in plastic as well. So I found grassfed ghee which has a glass jar, metal lid, and no plastic seal. I was using that for a few weeks to make a wonderful beef rillette (kind of like pate'). It was easy and delicious!

Unfortunately, as I have found previously, dairy just does not agree with me. Even ghee, despite everyone saying that ghee is casein free, still causes me the same problems. I have developed gut pain, aggravated keratosis pilaris, and other ill effects too. I seem to be tolerant only for so many servings of dairy, about two weeks or so, then my body says "No more!"

So I am back to square one for a good, nutritious fat source that is zero carb and not in plastic.

I found one brand of coconut oil (Artisana) that is in glass with a metal lid and no plastic seal. I really do not like coconut oil though, and it just does not have the nutrition that animal fat has, such as retinol, vitamin D, vitamin A, EHA, DPA, etc.

One idea I have is to try to just go without added side fat. I could keep eating the canned beef, and eat egg yolks and not the whites in order to maintain a 56%/43% fat/protein balance. With the whites, fat/protein is just 51%/48%, which is not very good for ketosis. I might try heating the beef, shredding it, and put an egg yolk on top like this:


Or like this but without the white:



Or I could make a beef soup with egg yolk dropped in it something like this:



I can see how those ideas work. If I feel like I do still need the added side fat, I could try to make beef rillette again with coconut oil instead of ghee!


Comments

  1. I'm so sorry that the ghee did not work out for you. It is so frustrating sometimes trying to figure out what our bodies can and can't tolerate and understanding why. The other ideas you came up with do look delicious. I have been reading (well, actually skimming though) some books by Dr. H.L. Newbold that are very interesting. He discusses how each of us has foods and other toxins in the environment that are incompatible with our biochemistry. He mainly advocates an all meat way of eating and has found that red meat is the most compatible food. It's very informative. Between school semesters when I have more time I want to try to find what is compatible with my biochemistry. This got me thinking about you and cutting out all plastic. I'm sure that plastic is incompatible with the human body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lori! Those books sound interesting, I will have to try to find them. Red meat does seem to be most compatible for me, that's for sure. I am not so sure about eggs, but I need folate and vitamin A and I have not been able to find liver that is not in plastic. In regards to plastic and the human body, they are saying now that 93% of bottled water contains microplastics. And in the documentary "Living Downstream", she said that human breast milk is now one of the most contaminated human foods on earth!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts