Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Zero Waste Carnivore

Zero Carb Keto

Zero Waste Carnivore


I am super excited! I found a great meal to make that is plastic-free, locally raised, 100% grassfed!

I had ordered a case of canned 100% grassfed beef from a farm in a neighboring state. The case came with no plastic besides some paperwork in a ziploc bag, which next time I can ask them not to include.

I was not sure how best to use the canned beef, because although the flavor was great, it was not all that palatable on its own.

I decided to try making a rillette with it. Rillette is when you cook shredded meats in fat until they make almost a pate'. For the time being, I used butter, although I have ordered goat milk ghee as I think that may be better for my gut. The goat milk ghee comes in a glass jar with a metal lid and no plastic seal or plastic used in the shipping, they told me.

The beef is already fully cooked, so I just melted the better and shredded the beef into it and added a little extra salt, and cooked it for a few minutes. It came out amazing! Good hot or cold!

I think when it is cold it kind of looks like a cake, don't you think so?

Grassfed beef rillette


Comments

  1. You are so amazing at coming up with original ideas. You took canned beef and butter and made it into a gourmet meal. I have never even heard of a rillette. Did it taste good?
    How much canned beef do you use at each meal? Do you weigh it out still and if so by ounces or grams? Is it the same meal for breakfast, lunch and dinner? You mentioned that you are changing your macros. Are you changing the amount of food and the number of calories you eat in a day? Is it tasty enough that you can continue eating this meal indefinitely?
    This is all so interesting. What a huge change you are making in your life. What great dedication to a issue that you are passionate about. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lori! Yes, it tastes great! I love it! If you have ever had Underwood deviled ham or chicken, it reminds me of that. I do still weigh my meals in grams. I'm eating about 120g per meal. I'm eating local pastured eggs for some meals too. I'm still eating the same calories per day, but the fat/protein is more around 52%/48% now. I think I could eat this for a long time, it is really tasty. I just might order their canned turkey or pork occasionally for some variety, or maybe occasionally pick up fresh fish at the meat counter.

      Delete
    2. I looked into the canned meat on their website and the cost with shipping is a bit pricey for me. I am trying to buy local beef or lamb. I am interested to see if your new fat/protein ratio changes anything for you. I had to adjust mine in the opposite direction. I was still feeling hungry and so worried about the amount of protein raising my insulin levels. My ratio is 85%/15%. My meals have been getting very boring lately and not tasting good at all. I was using salt for a bit but that increased the pitted edema in my legs . So I had to cut the salt out. Not sure what to do.
      I look forward to hearing about how all these drastic changes work out for you over a period of time. Perhaps I need to make some changes as well. Thanks Mellie.

      Delete
    3. Oh, too bad. I wonder if your shipping is higher because you are farther away. I calculated wrong, my fat/protein is now at 60/40. Yours at 85/15 must be hard. What are you using as your fat source?

      Delete
    4. My fat source is beef and lamb tallow which I render myself from fat.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts