Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Maintaining Zero Waste, Plastic-Free

Zero Carb Keto

Maintaining Zero Waste, Plastic-Free


I have been maintaining my zero waste, plastic-free mission for about two months now, while also staying zero carb!

As I have mentioned in previous posts, most of all the changes that I have made are actually even better than what they replaced! Eyeglasses instead of contact lenses, The Keeper pure rubber menstrual cup instead of disposables, dental pic instead of floss, baking soda instead of toothpaste, washing soda instead of shampoo or dish liquid, locally made goat milk soap instead of body wash, compostable waste bags and a compost bin instead of creating garbage. I just stopped using moisturizer and lip gloss. I found paper towels and toilet tissue wrapped in paper instead of plastic. I am buying only 100% natural fiber clothing to avoid plastic fibers entering the water cycle.

I signed up for 100% renewable energy with my utility company, and installed water-saving aerators and shower heads. I started using a cat litter in a paper bg which is flushable and compostable.

I changed out my food from buying frozen grassfed beef and lamb in plastic or plastic-lined paper from my local farmers, to buying canned grassfed beef from a farm one state away, locally raised eggs, and grassfed ghee that actually originates in Australia. When my local farmers have butter back in stock, I will try that, or if the casein bothers me, I will make ghee with it. So far, knock on wood, the ghee has not bothered my gut or aggravated my keratosis pilaros (bumpy skin). I buy sea salt in bulk and bring paper bags.

I have been making beef rillette, which is similar to pate' and made with shredded meat. I take the canned beef, shred it up by hand, cook it in plenty of ghee, salt to taste, and pour that into a glass container. Then I just eat pieces off of it like cake! It can also be eaten heated too. It's really good! The cans are completely recyclable steel with paper labels, and are shipped only in a cardboard box with no plastic whatsoever when requested. Otherwise they add some paperwork in a plastic bag.

I have been hard boiling the eggs, which come in paper cartons that my local farmers re-use.

The ghee comes in glass jars with metal lids with no plastic seal, and is completely recyclable.

I think I might also order some canned turkey from the same farm that sells the canned beef and make turkey rillette, for a little variety here and there.

All of my health parameters continue to be in "athlete" level, with 14% bodyfat (great for a 46 yr old female!), low blood pressure, insulin, glucose, CRP, A1C, etc.

I am still waiting on the results of my familial hypercholesterolemia genetic test, because LDL was the only health parameter that was not athlete level. However, I could just be what they call a "hyper-responder", whose LDL raises when eating saturated fats. Since my heart scan and cardiovascular scans are all still in athlete range, I am not concerned. But if I do have FH, I might just want to keep getting the scans regularly just to be sure!


Grassfed beef rillette made with ghee


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts