Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Good Keto Meats: Lamb and Mutton

Zero Carb Keto

Good Keto Meats: Lamb and Mutton

My usual meats on the carnivore diet are just lamb and mutton. I know most carnivores gravitate towards ground beef or beef ribeye, but I find beef to usually be too lean. When I eat too lean, I get gnarly foot cramps that wake me up in the middle of the night. Not fun!

So I have learned that unfortunately most beef is not fatty enough for me. There is one exception, a local longtime grassfed farmer has mastered his forage mix and his beef is amazingly fatty, so much so that I actually have to cut some fat off! But all other grassfed beef I find locally (or at the grocery stores) is far too lean.

Lamb and mutton, on the other hand, are always perfectly fatty and I never have any problems with them being too lean. I am surprised that lamb and mutton is not more popular amongst the carnivore set for that reason! And it is quite affordable, I have been getting both lamb and mutton for $7/lb (in midwest USA). The lamb is locally raised and 100% grassfed, and I buy whole lamb shares. The mutton is American and canned, so it is great to keep stocked because fresh lamb is not always available. The price even includes shipping!

In addition to all cuts of lamb and mutton being in a perfectly ketogenic ratio naturally, so no added fats are needed, they are incredibly delicious and are so easy to cook. Also, raising sheep requires less resources than cattle and is possible on smaller and more difficult pastures. Lamb and mutton meat is higher than beef in omega 3s (EPA, DHA, DPA) and CLA as well. For example, an untrimmed lamb chop contains 129mg omega 3s, while an untrimmed sirloin steak only contains 55mg!
https://www.mlahealthymeals.com.au/meat-nutrition/comparing-meat-products/

And since lamb and mutton are higher in fat, they are more calorie dense. So you can eat smaller portions of them, making them even more affordable and efficient!

So please consider trying some local lamb or mutton if you can find some, I think you will be very pleasantly surprised!



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts