Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: It's All About Remnant Cholesterol

Zero Carb Keto

It's All About Remnant Cholesterol


So I have always had supposedly "high" cholesterol, even back in my twenties, when vegan. It was just the LDL that was "high", by the way, all other markers were excellent. When I switched to the carnivore diet years ago, it cleared up all of my gut issues, bad skin, menstrual pain, and improved every testing parameter. When my doctor at the time insisted that I needed to take statins, I refused. It made no sense to me to take a medication when every test and my own feeling showed perfect health. So instead I got a CT heart scan and followed up with two yearly trivascular CIMT scans. Perfect scores on all three! My doctor fired me, but I didn't care and haven't bothered getting a new doctor. I'd rather be actually healthy than have a doctor!

Since, I have had two different DNA tests confirm that I have "familial hypercholesterolemia", which is a genetic mutation leading to high LDL. Some research studies seem to show highly increased risk for heart disease. However, I think this is just in the case of high insulin. I think it doesn't increase risk at all when on a zero carb diet. And I think my heart scan and CIMT scans back that theory up.

In addition, I recently read about remnant cholesterol. If you take your total cholesterol number and subtract your HDL and LDL, that number is your remnant cholesterol. Under 20 is optimal. Mine is currently 13. This number is actually far more related to actual risk than LDL.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remnant_cholesterol

So again, I think this backs up my theory that high LDL does not mean much at all, even with familial hypercholesterolemia, when following a healthy, red meat based carnivore diet!




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts