Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Importance of Fatty Meat

Keto Carnivory

Importance of Fatty Meat

I have gut and skin issues when I eat dairy (and yes, I've tried raw dairy, A2 casein dairy, goat dairy), so I cannot just add butter to meat when it is too lean like most carnivores do. Instead I generally choose lamb and mutton, since most lamb and mutton cuts have a naturally perfect ketogenic ratio of fat to protein. 

At first I had been eating a lot of local heritage pork and eggs from field-raised chickens, but my triglycerides were pretty high. I think that pork and poultry (including eggs) are just too high in omega 6 fatty acids and therefore can be inflammatory. So then I tried 100% grassfed local beef, but most of those cuts were just far too lean to eat without added fats. But then I found 100% grassfed local lamb, and that has worked really well for me!

Although, there are some interesting differences between farmers and cuts. Lamb from one local farmer was just really, really lean and I got foot cramps almost every single night! That happens with me when I eat beef and fish too, which are too lean. Luckily, the other local farmer has plenty of good fatty lamb, so I just purchased two whole lamb shares and am enjoying those. Just the lamb steaks are still too lean. I will buy two or three more whole lamb shares at the end of next month to try and tide me through the winter, and next time I will ask them to maybe grind the steaks up with extra fat, if they can.

The great thing with that farmer is the processor they use remembers to keep all of the organ and offal meats for me too! So that's great. I really enjoy the variety and the extra nutrition that organ and offal provide!

I had been in contact with a mangalitsa pork farmer. Mangalitsa pork has a much better omega 6 to 3 ratio than other pork breeds. The ratio is more like beef and lamb. The meat is actually red, like beef, and quite fatty. I am hoping to order some of that as well, but I still think lamb and mutton are preferable nutritionally as well as environmentally. Ruminant animals actually help replenish the topsoil and provide fertile mixed grasslands for a variety of species, whereas pigs degrade soil. So as much as I love the taste of pork, I try to focus on ruminant animals first!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts