Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Nose To Tail Lamb

Zero Carb Keto

Nose to Tail Lamb

As a strict carnivore, I eat only meat. I even try to avoid dairy and eggs, since they do not agree with me very much. I prefer ruminant (red) meat, for quite a few reasons. One, it is the most nutrient dense, it has the best fatty acid breakdown, and is also the best environmental choice, being rejuvenative for the topsoil. 

Ruminant animals include cattle, sheep, bison, goats, deer, and antelope. I have tried all of those meats and have come to find that of those only sheep have meat that falls within a naturally ketogenic ratio of fat to protein. There are a few cuts of beef that do, but most cuts of beef are too lean (especially with modern methods of breeding, raising cattle, and processing the meats).

So my diet is made up primarily of lamb. I have been very lucky to find some local farmers that raise 100% grassfed lamb. When I buy whole lamb shares, it comes out to be very affordable. Only around $7/lb! Which is amazing, since it requires nothing else, no added fats, nothing more than maybe just a dash of sea salt!

I am especially lucky because one of the processors actually includes upon request, all of the organ meats! Which are my favorite part. I love the variety of textures and flavors! So I always eat the organ meats first. 

So with the organ meats, this time I got the lamb liver, sweetbreads (thymus and pancreas), heart, kidneys, tongue, and testicles. Everything cooks up very easily in an otherwise dry slow cooker on low overnight. So amazing and delectable! And full of certain nutrients that muscle meat does not have as much. For example, heart is especially high in coenzyme Q10. Liver is high in vitamin A and folate. Sweetbreads are high in vitamin C. Kidneys are high in B2, B12, and selenium.

So delicious...I just need to work out how to keep my lamb in stock! I bought two whole lamb shares, but a friend already bought half of one. And one lamb only lasts me about a month. So I'm going to need more before year's end!

Grassfed slow-roasted lamb hearts and tongues







Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts