Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Nutrient Ratios

Zero Carb Keto

Nutrient Ratios

I use Cronometer for tracking my nutrition, calories, and fat/protein ratio. Recently I noticed that at the bottom of the screen are meters showing four different nutrient ratios:
1) omega 6 : 3
2) zinc : copper
3) potassium : sodium
4) calcium : magnesium

My ratios are in the green "ideal" zone except for zinc : copper. It is unusual because when most people have a zinc : copper imbalance, it is because of a zinc deficiency, apparently. But in my case, it is the opposite, I am seemingly too low in copper!

I looked up what meats have high copper. Mainly, it is liver. I have not been eating liver as often as I would like. So perhaps I should try to have it more often! It also supposedly helps with two symptoms that I show of copper deficiency, and that is white hairs (which unfortunately I started getting a very young age) and white skin (I have a few small patches of vitiligo). So perhaps making sure to get more copper could possibly help with those.

Other meat items that have copper are seafoods: oysters, crab, shrimp, crayfish, and lobster. Those are much more expensive and harder to get in my inland area, so I think liver is a much more expedient way for me to be sure to get enough copper.

I was curious if there were any meats that have perfect ratios in all four, and a good fat : protein ratio as well.

Many meats and fish might have a good zinc : copper ratio but then their potassium : sodium ratio is imbalanced. Alligator, turtle, and frog have good nutrient ratios, but then their fat : protein ratio is too lean.

It is interesting to note that pork and eggs are imbalanced in three of the four, and beef and poultry in two of the four! However, salmon and herring with skin are ideal in all ratios, including being pretty decent in fat : protein for ketosis (although a little on the lean side). Another fatty coldwater fish, mackerel, is a little too high in potassium : sodium ratio. Oysters are ideal in the ratios, except too lean in fat : protein. Venison is also too lean, plus also has a high potassium : sodium ratio.

So it seems I could stay with lamb and mutton, but try eating lamb liver for copper. Although, I think my gut has become sensitive to ruminant liver. I seem to do fine with cod liver though, so maybe I will order more of that!

Or, I just won't worry about it and keep eating lamb and mutton!






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts