Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Plastic-Free, Zero-Waste Update

Zero Carb Keto

Plastic-Free, Zero-Waste Update

Back in February, after watching some eye-opening documentaries, I decided to try my best to go plastic-free and zero-waste. I switched to The Keeper menstrual cup (works great!), paper towels and toilet tissue wrapped only in paper, locally made bar soap for hands and body, coconut oil for deodorant. I was already using baking soda for toothbrushing. 

I started using canned tushonka mutton instead of meats in plastic. The cans are steel and totally recyclable, and steel can be recycled over and over again. 

However, I wanted to be able to do some grilling from time to time and so I bought some whole lamb shares. One processor uses butcher paper with a separate thin plastic liner, so at least the paper is recyclable. But the other processor uses heat-seal plastic wrap, which is completely not recyclable. 

I have found that there is just so much waste produced! Bones, grease, plastic! So I think once I am through all of this lamb, I will just go back to the canned mutton. It is really good, and produces zero waste!

I had switched to washing soda (not baking soda) for my hair and dishwashing, but I have reverted back to German brand Alverde for my hair. The washing soda was too drying. And I have switched back temporarily to chemical-free dish liquid instead of washing soda for my dishes, because it seems to work a little better and is less drying to my hands. So there are two products that are still in plastic, unfortunately.

I have switched out all of my clothes and linens to be 100% natural fibers (except my shower curtain). I was hoping to find natural horn eyeglasses, but the only ones I could find were too big for my face. So unfortunately I still have to use plastic eyeglasses or plastic contact lenses.

Otherwise I do not produce any waste besides some kitty litter made from corn.

I switched to 100% green energy with my electric company. They have installed acres of solar panels. I have not really explored solar energy to know if it comes out being more sustainable than coal or not, when you add in all the rare metals and petroleum that are needed to manufacture them, and deliver and store the electricity they produce. I should probably explore that a little more!

I do like carbonated water, and had been buying recyclable aluminum cans of seltzer. But near my workplace all I can get are liter plastic bottles of seltzer, so unfortunately that is what I have been buying. They are recyclable (really downcycled), but that is not ideal.

I have been taking the city bus for transportation, or carpooling.

I have been eating primarily lamb and mutton. Lamb and mutton are a very sustainably produced food, which offer an improvement to the soil and the earth instead of plant-based agriculture, which destroys topsoil and causes desertification. Sheep are able to use less land than cattle, and land that would be otherwise unsuitable for anything else, too! The grasses and forage that they eat sequester carbon, which also improves the environment. And the raising of sheep allows for a multitude of other organisms to thrive in the same environment, unlike plant-based agriculture.

I feel like I have made some good changes this year!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts