Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Whole Sheep Share

Keto Carnivory

Whole Sheep Share

I have been buying whole lamb shares for a year now, and I really enjoy being able to choose the exact cuts and be sure to get all of the organ meats as well. I had told one of the local farmers that I am also interested in mutton. And so recently she contacted me and let me know she had a ewe for me! It was a big, fatty sheep, and quite affordable. Normally the local grassfed lamb shares end up being around $7.70 / lb including processing, but this only ended up being $3.11 / lb including processing! And it is amazingly fatty! In fact, I hope my gut can get used to all this extra fat. I asked the processor to retain all the fat on the cuts, and do only roasts and stew meat instead of steaks and chops and ground. The fat caps on the cuts now are huge, in some places two inches thick!

As always, I eat the organ meats first because I love them so much. I just had the kidneys for breakfast, and they were so unbelievably mild and creamy! Funnily enough, the processor gave me some extra kidneys! Fine with me, I really enjoy them! I also had a few bites of the heart, and it was also very mild and tender.

Altogether, the sheep came to 90 lbs finished meat! That's so much more than the 35 lbs a lamb usually processes out to be. However, a friend bought about half of the sheep, so luckily I have two more lambs coming in a few weeks to help me get through the winter. I will tell this farmer I am interested in mutton as well! Whole sheep shares are the way to go!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts