Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Grassfed Dairy

I have been eating grassfed dairy for the last month or so. Knock on wood, I am doing ok with it! I have been eating local 100% raw grassfed cultured butter, cheese, colostrum, and non-local gjetost and sour cream. 

I have really been enjoying it and feeling good, so far!

I wanted to try the grassfed dairy for multiple reasons. For one, it is very affordable for the calorie and nutrition provided. Since I am now retired, affordable nutrition is key! Also, it is high in vitamin K2, which I am hoping will help keep strong bones, teeth, and skin as I am passing through perimenopause. It is fairly easy to get from my favorite local farmer, and I love supporting their family business. Lastly, it is nice to have more variety. Otherwise I am sticking with beef cuts under US$5/lb, which are crosscut beef shank, short rib, tongue, heart, liver, and tongue.

Some ways I have been using the grassfed dairy:
1. Thin slivers of cheese with butter 
2. Beef liver slices sauteed lightly in butter and colostrom 
3. "Parfaits" made with sour cream, hot browned butter, and warm gjetost
4. Cheese soup made with butter, cheese, and colostrum
5. "Nachos" made from beefheart jerky with ground beef, cheese, and sour cream

I am also trying to make some пряжене молоко, Ukrainian baked milk. And ряженка, Ukrainian fermented baked milk (fermented with sour cream). I'll post back on how it goes! So far, I learned that colostrum or buttermilk do NOT work. The colostrum completely thickens, and the buttermilk splits and is very sour. But I will try regular raw milk next.

If the milk works out for me, that is very affordable! The dairy increases my carbohydrate intake some. But I add butter or sour cream for extra fat. Very affordable meal and my fat to protein calorie ratio is now up to 70-80/30-20!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts