Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Experimenting with Suet; Traveling

I just don't think dairy is good for me. I had to resort to it in April when my local farmers ran out of marrow bones. I purchased 100% grassfed, grass-finished, raw A2 casein heavy cream and made clotted cream with it (which is kind of like uncultured butter, and higher fat than just heavy cream). But unfortunately, it has aggravated my keratosis pilaris and caused bloating, gut issues, weight gain, and bodyfat gain as well! I think dairy is a source of inflammation, even raw A2 casein dairy.

So yesterday I picked up some grassfed beef suet to try a new experiment!

I had previously made tallow by rendering beef and bison suet in the crock-pot. However, both beef and bison tallow were very waxy and unpalatable to eat as a side. I tried melting it as well, but then it would catch in my throat when trying to swallow and I would almost choke!

So, my new experiment was to try not rendering the suet, but instead cutting off small strips of it and roasting it in the toaster oven along with my slices of meat. 

It worked pretty well! Some of it melted, as expected, but some of it stayed solid, and was soft, tasty, and not waxy! So that's great!

I will continue experimenting with the roasted suet. I'll save what's left of all of my clotted cream in the freezer (it freezes fine in freezer bags). I guess I can use the clotted cream for upcoming travel throughout this month, since the suet won't roast in a microwave and when traveling I typically only have access to a mcrowave. But I really want to figure out something to use instead for travel! I'd really rather not use dairy!

Here's hoping that roasted suet works for long-term as a fat side dish! It's much cheaper and easier to procure than marrow bones or clotted cream! If it doesn't work, I may have to give up on ketosis and just do zero carb. But I really prefer being in ketosis. It makes me feel very grounded, level-headed, and curbs hunger!

Another option is raw-ish zero carb. If I use fairly fatty cuts, like ribeye, and eat them raw or pretty rare, then maybe that would work for travel! Then I wouldn't need to pack a fat for the side, and wouldn't even need to microwave them at all!

Cuts that might be fatty enough to stay in ketosis, and palatable to eat unheated, are ribeye steak (63/37 fat/protein raw), and porterhouse steak (60/40 fat/protein raw). Tongue is even higher in fat (71/29). I could cut tongue into thin slices for eating unheated. I have a special knife for cutting nice thin slices. Sweetbreads also work for eating unheated, and have an excellent high fat content as well (71/29)!

I could also make pemmican. I've made it before for airport travel since it doesn't require any ice packs or refrigeration. However, it does have a waxy mouth feel because it uses rendered tallow. But, the fact that it needs no ice packs does make traveling easier. I have a few days to decide!

Grassfed beef tongue with roasted suet and smoked salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts