Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Vitamin C

Zero Carb Keto


Vitamin C Intake

I wrote the last few days about the importance of iodine. I have started to incorporate much more saltwater fish and shellfish into my diet accordingly!

Another important nutrient to consider for zero carb keto is vitamin C. Although any fresh meat will prevent scurvy, if you desire to take in some extra vitamin C, there are certain meat cuts that have it!

Also note that vitamin C needs are less when you reduce your sugar and carbohydrate intake. And another interesting note, meat does not seem to lose vitamin C in cooking, actually!
http://www.beyondveg.com/tu-j-l/raw-cooked/raw-cooked-2f.shtml

Vitamin C in Meat

From the French nutrition database:
https://ciqual.anses.fr/
Vitamin C content (mg/100g serving)

Sweetbread, calf, sautéed/pan-fried 39.4
Clam, boiled/cooked in water 22.1
Liver, young cow, cooked 20
Sweetbread, lamb, cooked 20
Liver, lamb, cooked 17.6
Liver, calf, cooked 13.2
Kidney, lamb, braised 12
Heart, lamb, cooked 7
Lamb, shoulder, roasted/baked 6.9
Tongue, calf, cooked 6
Mussel, boiled/cooked in water 5.8
Crab, boiled/cooked in water 3.6

I try to eat sweetbreads as often as I can get them, but that is only once every few months. I will make an effort to try to find them more often. Also, I have already incorporated more clams into my diet for the iodine, so this is good to see that they also provide vitamin C! I regularly eat beef and lamb liver, heart, and tongue, and lamb shoulder and kidneys too. 

So I should be well covered for vitamin C!


grassfed lamb stew meat with sea salt

Grassfed lamb stew meat with sea salt

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts