Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Not All Salts Are The Same

Zero Carb Keto

Not All Salts Are The Same

I had a dry, flaky patch of skin above my eyes for a few months. It was driving me crazy! When I woke in the morning, it would be so flaky!! So first I thought, it must be from winter dry air. I just put some lotion on it.

The lotion did not help at all. So then I read that the traditional Mongolians sometimes used bone marrow oil for dry skin. And I thought, I have some of that actually! So I tried it, and it did improve greatly almost immediately!

However, in the mornings it would still be flaky. So I resigned myself to having to use the bone marrow oil every morning.

Well, recently I ran out of my favorite sea salt and started using a different salt. And would you believe, there is no more flaking!!

It just again made me realize how important salt can be, and how different one salt is from another! Unrefined salts have very different mineral content from one brand to another. There was one salt I tried which really caused me to have urgent bowel movements, and when I researched it, I found that it was high in magnesium and potassium (which can cause that!).

So this particular salt, of which I really loved the flavor, must be higher in some particular mineral that was causing that dry patch, unfortunately! It could be magnesium, which I have read can cause dry skin. Strangely, my urine was very strong smelling then too!

I feel that eating some salt is important. Our body uses the chloride in it to make hydrochloric acid for digestion, and also for nerve health. But not all salts are the same. Plus, following zero carb means our nutritional needs are lower than the recommended daily allowances, which are accounting for the interference of antinutrients from plant matter.

So experimenting with different salts is worth it!

In other news, I am still trying to figure out how to get grassfed red meats that are wrapped in paper rather than plastic in my effort to avoid adding to the problem of plastic environmental pollution. I have found two farmers whose processors offer the option of paper wrap when buying whole lamb shares or quarter to half beef shares. So in the Spring I can do that. But till then, I am still searching!


Grassfed lamb chops with sea salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts