Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Cooking Tools

Zero Carb Keto Cooking Tools

Slow Cooker


I have a whole post dedicated to my love for the slow cooker. It is how I cook most of my meats. I just put the whole roast, tongue, oxtail, pack of stew meat, brisket, or heart, right into an empty slow cooker, and cook it on low for 12 hours. Everything turns out perfect!

There will often be some cooking juices in the pot. I usually refrigerate the juices. They could be used for dipping for lean meats. The fat will harden on the top. I have tried using this fat cold, as I do marrow, on the side of lean meats, but it is not as palatable. If you decide not to use the juices, be sure to not put the fats down the drain as it will clog your septic system!

Convection Toaster Oven


My other cooking appliance is a convection toaster oven. It allows me to cook more delicate foods, such as sweetbreads, liver, kidney, marrow bones, and fish. It is also a good way to reheat foods quickly, with much tastier results than the microwave!

I normally cook these foods at 400F (200C) until they are browned, or if reheating, just about 5-7 minutes.

Dehydrator


I use a dehydrator to make my simple salted beefheart jerky. I just slice the heart very thinly, salt sparingly, and dehydrate it for 12 hours.

Knives


Surprisingly, for someone who eats nothing but meat, I only use three knives regularly.

One is a slicing knife, which I mainly use for slicing beef heart for making simple salted jerky or after cooking it in the slow cooker into delicious paper thin slices.

I use a small steak knife when eating or cutting items for reheating, such as thicker cuts like brisket or tongue.

And I use a butterknife for scraping marrow out of marrow bones!

Cutting Board


I use a good wooden cutting board when slicing beefheart.

Tongs and Slotted Spoon


Tongs and a slotted spoon are helpful for removing roasts, tongue, stew meat, etc. from the slow cooker.

Glass Storage Containers


I use glass storage containers for my meats and marrow, since plastic is such a toxin.


Stainless Steel Scrubbies


Stainless steel scrubbies are helpful for cleaning up the slow cooker pot and toaster oven tray, to prevent grease buildup.

Here is an example:
https://tinyurl.com/ydbx5k6g

Food Scale


I use a food scale in grams to weigh all my foods. This along with nutrition software helps me track my calorie restriction, nutrient intake, fat to protein percentage, and omega 3 to omega 6 fatty acids.

Small Plates


Since I am choosing fatty meats and fat is calorie dense, my portions are small. Plus I follow 20% calorie restriction as well. So I use smaller plates for my meals to be proportional to the size of the plate!


Wild caught Atlantic mackerel

Wild caught Atlantic mackerel


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts