Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Substitutions

Zero Carb Keto Substitutions

My officemate made some hot chocolate yesterday and the smell was so familiar. I started to get a little nostalgic, but then I remembered the gut pain, bloating, constipation, foot cramps, cystic acne, etc. that all went along with it. That shot me out of my nostalgia pretty fast!

Sometimes I have to just make substitutions. When other people might treat themselves to coffee, tea, mulled cider, or hot chocolate, I enjoy a warming mug of boiled water instead. It still does the trick! And will not cause me any gut issues!

When other people might treat themselves to special meals for celebrations such as birthday cake, I might treat myself to some specialty meats or fish that I do not get to have very often, such as Atlantic mackerel, or sablefish. 

When other people might decompress after work with a beer or glass of wine, I like to enjoy a relaxing hot bath in the wintertime, or an urban hike in nicer weather. 

Other folks might snack throughout the day, but I have no desire or need for that, since being in ketosis keeps hunger away. But instead I take breaks from the computer and do some good arm stretches to avoid rolled shoulders. This article has some excellent stretches for that, they have really improved my posture!

People like to add spices and herbs to their foods, but those can all irritate my gut. Instead I rely on different sea salts. They all have different flavors and textures. For example, Maldon sea salt comes in great, crunchy flakes! Baleine sea salt has a fantastic flavor. There are smoked sea salts as well. Alder smoked sea salt is very good!

And while other folks might like to mix things up by having different grains or vegetables from time to time, I like to mix things up by enjoying organ meats and offal. They offer a huge variety of tastes and textures, plus provide some needed nutrients that are not as abundant in just the muscle meat.

And while many people enjoy going out to eat as a social activity, instead I enjoy having friends over, or going on day trips to other towns, finding new record stores or bookstores or beautiful parks and gardens!

Following zero carb keto is so healthful, and makes me feel and look so much better than I ever have, it is totally worth it to me to make these simple substitutions in life!


Photo of grassfed lamb stew meat with sea salt

Grassfed lamb stew meat with sea salt




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts