Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Lamb and Beef Shares; Toiletries

Zero Carb Keto


Lamb and Beef Shares


I have written before about purchasing lamb and beef shares. For lamb, buying a whole lamb share is an economical way to get delicious, grassfed meat and organs that comes in a naturally ketogenic ratio, and so needs no extra fat or anything!

In my area, I am able to get 100% grassfed locally raised whole lamb shares for between $6.70 and $8.00/lb (US dollars). That is an excellent price, since I need to buy no other groceries besides salt! I use about 1 lb frozen meat per day for my meals (but I am a very petite woman who follows calorie restriction). I get around 35 lbs of meat when I buy a whole lamb. So that gives me roughly a month's worth of meals at around $7 per day, or $220 per month. That is very affordable for high nutrition! Plus, when buying a whole lamb, I am able to request that it be wrapped in paper rather than plastic to try and prevent plastic garbage accumulation throughout the world.

The other option is to do a beef share. However, there is much more meat, and it is much leaner, unfortunately! So I have not pursued this option yet. But I am considering a quarter share of beef in May after a good fattening up on nutritious Spring pastures. A quarter beef share is about 90 lbs, so more than two lambs' worth. From what I understand, as much as half of that will just end up as ground beef, which I personally do not like at all. So that is one reason I have been reluctant to go this route. It ends up being about $6/lb in my area. But most of that is going to be very lean meat, and will need additional fat on the side, such as extra marrow bones. So it ends up being just as expensive as the lamb! However, that processor might be able to help me by trying to keep more of the fat on the cuts. They too are able to pack in paper rather than plastic, as well, so that is good!

Toiletries


I wanted to mention that using a tiny dab of bone marrow oil on the patch of dry skin I had above my eye worked in one day! Amazing! After trying commercial lotion, eating more liver, eating more fish, etc. Using bone marrow oil was something that I had read about regarding traditional Mongolian culture!

I am in day two of trying some Native American hair care instead of commercial shampoo. I made a rosemary and mint infusion and rinsed my hair with it yesterday. So far so good! In fact today, I did not even wash my hair since it surprisingly was not greasy at all, when normally every morning it is already a little oily!

I am now working on a substitute for lotion. I know that the various fats on an animal have different fatty acid profiles. Bone marrow fat is my favorite for eating on its own, rather than tallow (from visceral fat) or melted intermuscular fat. And marrow oil also worked amazingly on curing my dry skin. But there are actually two types of marrow fat, red and yellow!

This site has a great description of the two:
http://www.sumasmountainfarms.ca/blog.php?id=51

So I may try roasting the other bones that I get with my whole lamb shares to try and extract the red marrow. Then use that very sparingly for lotion/salve! And keep the yellow marrow bones for just eating.

There is also fat from the drippings when I cook my lamb roasts (the intermuscular fat). I am experimenting with clarifying that and using it for lotion/salve as well. I could even infuse herbs to give a scent! So I will report back on how that is going!

I had also read about boiling animal ears for collagen for hair care. I might request that, or at least request the tendons for that purpose!

Waste not, want not!



grassfed lamb roast with sea salt

Grassfed lamb roast with sea salt





Comments

  1. Lamb shares where I am are at least $10 /lb. Too expensive for me, unfortunately. I have been trying to find local farmers for both lamb and beef. But again, they have been very pricey. Makes me sad.
    For lotion I have been rendering tallow from grassfed fat (I get from my local Vons), and then making that into tallow lotion. It is just tallow, olive oil, and essential oils. That's it. So far I really like it. I am going to try using fractionated coconut oil instead of olive oil this next batch. That way I am using all saturated fats.
    Thanks again for all the wonderful information on your blog. I really enjoy reading it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lori! Thanks you for your nice comments! I'll keep brainstorming for more affordable options for grassfed red meats. Do you like fish? Have you tried a local Asian grocery for multi-packs of Atlantic mackerel?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts