Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Zero Carb, Zero Waste, Freedom!

Zero Carb Keto

Zero Carb, Zero Waste, Freedom!

I have been so happy to maintain zero carb for over two years now (and off and on for about nine years!). I feel so much better, healthier, more level-headed, more calm, more content!

No more gut issues! Which maybe people cannot understand until they have been there. It used to be, back when I ate plant matter, that I would be in constant gut pain with horrible bloating. All day I would feel the need to have a bowel movement but not be able to do so. My mood was terribly depressed and I would get irritable very easily. I had cystic acne. And I used to really suffer with severe menses pain. (I have no menstrual pain whatsoever now!)

Back when I had sugar or starches, I would crash hard, often even falling asleep afterward! And a few hours later be famished. Eating any sugar usually caused me to get a head cold too. 

My insulin, blood sugar, blood pressure, A1C, CRP, heart and cardiovascular scans, osteocalcin, complete blood panel, etc. have all been amazing since going zero carb two years ago. Even though I do not really exercise besides walking, I have no problems maintaining 14% bodyfat at age 46 for a female (which has held steady for two years). It is wonderful and I feel so trim! And no need to visit a doctor for anything. I take zero pharmaceuticals or supplements!

Another nice thing about my way of eating is that I really have very little need to go to the supermarket at all! 

In February, I decided to go zero waste / plastic-free as well. And that has been great too!

I replaced all the items that were "disposable" and made of plastic or in plastic. I had already been using baking soda for tooth powder instead of toothpaste for a decade, but I also gave up nylon dental floss for a reusable dental pic. I use diluted baking soda for my hair instead of shampoo. I now use coconut oil (in a glass jar with metal lid and paper seal) for deodorant, face lotion, and body and hand lotion. I use local handmade bar soaps wrapped in paper for hand and body wash. I purchase toilet tissue and paper towels wrapped in paper instead of plastic. I clean my house with diluted white vinegar in a glass jar.

I use a 100% natural rubber TheKeeper menstrual cup instead of disposable products. I use a natural cow horn comb for my hair. I handwash my 100% natural fiber clothing (mostly silk, some cotton) in washing soda. My skin really appreciates the breathability of 100% natural fiber clothing and linens! I used to sweat at night under synthetic blankets. But no longer under 100% natural merino wool or linen! And 100% silk clothing is fantastic for hot weather. Very comfortable and breathable, it is amazing!

I replaced my mostly ineffective plastic broom and dust brush/pan with beautiful locally handmade corn brooms and steel dustpan, that are objects of beauty and a joy to use - and work much better!

I buy my meats in steel cans which can be easily recycled over and over again. I ask them to be shipped in just cardboard and paper with no plastic. (As an aside, I have found wonderfully delicious and perfectly keto canned mutton, and just recently, canned Icelandic cod liver, which is amazing!) I store my leftovers and my lunch for work in glass.

I have cut down on all my junk mail, and the little I do receive, I recycle. I compost in a stainless steel bin the little bit of waste I have from sweeping up the floors and from my meat scraps.

I decided to stop dyeing my hair altogether. I had actually switched to 100% natural herbal henna and indigo a few years ago, but since they still come in plastic, I decided to go totally natural in April!

I signed up for 100% renewable energy with my local utility, and have cut down on my resource usage as well. Since using coconut oil as a deodorant and body moisturizer, and baking soda for my hair, I found that I do not need to shower as often! I just do a brief hand towel washing in the morning and comb out my hair. This is saving on water as well as electricity for hot water! 

I installed low-flow aerators and a shut-off aerator for the shower so I can shut it off while I soap up. I do not use the stove much at all, just to heat up my meats to make rillettes, which I eat cold later. I was thinking I could actually probably unplug my fridge. There's nothing in it but a rillette and a water jug! The rillettes are definitely shelf stable for a day and I do not necessarily need to drink cold water.

I have been lucky enough to not need to turn on any air conditioning yet this year, so that is great! I have been taking mass transit or walking for all of my transportation.

In terms of freedom, I have no debts and purchased my home in cash. I have no cell phone or motor vehicles, and I do not own or watch television, so I have very little expenses or much to maintain. I put away at least half of my paycheck every month into savings. I use the library for some free streaming of documentaries, but otherwise I try to avoid the "news", mainstream media, or TV shows or movies, in order to be a much happier person!

I have many hobbies including language study, making music, walking in nature, enjoying the company of friends, writing, sunbathing, reading. These all keep my mind challenged and trouble-free, far better than mainstream media ever could! Also, I am single, which provides a great feeling of freedom as well. One can be truly in charge of one's life!

It feels really good living so lightly on the earth, and not having to take out any trash anymore! It is so amazing to me. My body, gut, hair, skin, teeth, mood, everything is so much better now for living zero carb, zero waste, and free!


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts