Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Zero Carb Keto: Zero Waste Living, Freedom

Zero Carb Keto

Zero Waste Living, Freedom

After watching some very eye-opening documentaries, in February I decided to go zero waste / plastic-free. It has been an enjoyable journey learning how to replace all the "disposable" products I was using with biodegradable and truly recyclable materials. 

Plastic is not truly recyclable. It can only be downcycled into lower quality products, and even then it often requires added new plastic. In addition, then this lower quality product cannot be re-used, and will never biodegrade. It cannot be burned either, because of dioxins and other toxins released on burning.

I just came across an article that shows that Mumbai, India, is painfully aware of the issue of plastic waste, and are taking the drastic step of fines and imprisonment for those caught using "single-use" plastics!

So instead I am now using household and toiletries products wrapped in paper instead of plastic: 
-baking soda for hair and teeth, handmade bars of soap for hands and body, coconut oil in glass and metal with paper seal for face, body, and hand lotion, as well as deodorant, The Keeper 100% rubber menstrual cup, paper towels and toilet tissue wrapped in paper, meat in fully recyclable steel cans instead of plastic and foam, natural horn hair comb, glass food storage containers, handmade wood and corn brooms, steel dustpan, diluted white vinegar for household cleaning, 100% natural fiber clothes, shoes, and linens.

I have signed up for 100% renewable energy with my utility company, and reduced my energy usage greatly as well. I have not been using any air conditioning. I have been able to stretch out my time between showers by hand towel washing and applying coconut oil for deodorant. I have very, very few dishes to wash, which I just wash by hand. I hand wash my clothes, which I am able to wear multiple times between washing.

Since going zero carb, I have no need of any pharmaceuticals or supplements any longer, so there are no plastic bottles used there. I have also stopped dyeing my hair. Although I was using natural henna and indigo, it still comes in plastic, and could have possibly been interfering with the re-pigmentation of my vitiligo (white patches). So I am happy to be free of that!

I even was able to replace the strings on my classical guitar with real gut strings! Although they came in a plastic package, unfortunately. 

I tried replacing my eyeglasses with natural horn ones, but they were too big for my face. I cannot find smaller size horn ones, so for now I am still using plastic eyeglasses. I would really, really love to improve my eyes over time to not have to use corrective vision at all.

I have been taking mass transit to work, and carpool or walk for other transportation. 

The great thing is that I am generating zero garbage! I have some steel cans, cardboard, and paper mail that I take to work to recycle once a week. And a minor amount of biodegradable waste to compost from sweeping the floors, and I have a stainless steel compost bin for that. 

In addition, I have made some other changes too to make my life more free. I have not read the major media in many years, and have never really watched TV. I am blissfully free of the depressing "news"! I also do not use a cell phone or even pay for phone service. I just use Google Voice on the computer. It is really freeing to not own a TV, car, or phone!

I dream of someday being able to raise or hunt my own meat, and provide for my own water through rainwater catchment. I think I would actually even be content using tallow candles instead of electricity and giving up internet service. I would want to live somewhere where heating is not essential so I could be free of that. I am currently looking at smaller towns in central Florida!

I know it all probably seems crazy to most people. But I feel really happy and free, and I feel like I am harmony with the world.


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts