Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Note to Self - Hurting Myself is not a "Treat"

Every so often I want to "treat" myself. Without fail, this is always a bad idea.

This time I decided to treat myself by making mysost, a caramel-type cheese made from cow milk whey. When made from goat milk, it is called gjetost. Very delicious.

I start with whole raw (unpasteurized) milk and add rennet. This causes it to split into curds and whey. I don't want the curds, so I usually give them to a friend. I have the opposite problem of most cheesemakers, who don't want the whey. Then I boil down the whey till it caramelizes.

But I always have issues with dairy. With pasteurized dairy, I get constipation. This is common for most people. But with raw dairy, I have a problem with too many bowel movements (not diarrhea), which I think is caused by bacterial overgrowth from fermentation of the carbs in dairy. Not fun. And with all dairy, I get bloating and/or gut pain, anal pain, weight gain, depression, and keratosis pilaris. And no, I do not have lactose intolerance. But I do have slight casein intolerance.

The lesson is, I need to remember: hurting myself is NOT a "treat"! I need to think of some other way to "treat" myself!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts