Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Thoughts on Omega 6s

Thankfully, I seemed to have turned a corner on my hypothyroid (knock on wood). I think I was just eating too lean. I need around 50/50 fat/protein by calories. I had been eating less fat than that, and that seemed to cause hypothyroidism. I had weight gain despite severely reduced calorie intake; very dry skin; skipped menses; low thyroid numbers. Now that all has seemed much improved since adding more fat!

But not too much fat, which caused intestinal cramping and diarrhea. So there is definitely a happy medium for me!

I had been craving variety, and I still have two weeks till I pick up my two grassfed whole lamb shares. In the meantime, I branched out and tried quail eggs and chicken thighs from the Asian grocery store, which were great. I ran out of those and tried local farmers' chicken eggs (which last year made me ill) and thankfully am doing OK so far. I have also eaten a little pork here and there too.

I usually try to avoid eggs, poultry, and pork, for many reasons. One is, the high amount of omega 6 fatty acids is rather unhealthy compared to grassfed lamb. I think the omega 6's caused me to have menstrual cramps, which I never do usually when eating lamb.

Another reason I try to avoid pork and poultry and eggs is that they are fed soy and corn, which are not good for topsoil and sustainability.

Another reason I try to avoid eggs, poultry, and pork is that it seems to raise my triglycerides and blood pressure. Perhaps those omega 6s?

So once I get through this food, I will get back to lamb!

I wish I could find other options for healthful slightly fatty meats that aren't fed soy or corn! There is a vendor for truly wild boar. I have ordered from them before. I could do that for some variety.

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts