Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: DEXA scores

I decided to get DEXA testing yesterday. It measures bone density and bodyfat. After four years of being a strict carnivore, I was curious. My blood panels are all great, besides high LDL (I have genetically diagnosed familial hypercholesterolemia). My heart and cardiovascular scores are all excellent. My bodyfat, using the US Navy calculator, averages 14-15%, which is "athlete" range for a woman my age (48).

So how did I do on the DEXA?

The good news, my bone density is above average even for women younger than me! So that was great to hear. Also, my visceral fat is only .4 lbs, which is really excellent! And my android/gynoid ratio was just .79, which ideally should be under 1, so again, great news!

The bad news was, I have less lean mass than I thought. It said I actually had 29% bodyfat, not 15%! I was shocked. I don't look like the photos you see for 29% bodyfat, I look quite thin. But I guess I am just lacking in muscle. I do walk a mile and a half to work on weekdays, but otherwise I had given up doing ballet Barre exercises or bodyweight exercises or weight lifting. Apparently I may have lost muscle mass because of that, unfortunately. So maybe I need to get back on board with some kind of muscle building exercise. I guess I will just increase my walking.

Then maybe re-test in six months and see if I have gained back any muscle!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts