Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Variety for Good Health

I have been experimenting more with trying to add variety, without sacrificing good health. I will continue to avoid pork, poultry, eggs, and dairy, because they are too high in omega 6s, or in the case of dairy, casomorphins, and so are unhealthy for me.

Instead, I have picked up some beef liver (ideally lamb or kid liver would be tastier and milder, but I didn't have access to any). I made a simple paté by "grinding" the liver with a sharp knife, frying it gently with some reserved mutton fat, and mixing together into a ramekin for refrigeration. Came out great! 

I also picked up some beef sweetbreads (pancreas and thymus) and beef kidney from one of my favorite local grassfed beef ranchers. I slow-cooked them both, then "ground" the kidney with a sharp knife, mixed with melted reserved mutton fat, and made paté. It was really good. I just ate the sweetbreads straight from the slow cooker, and they were outstanding.

I also picked up some good fatty mackerel at the local Asian store. I like to broil that in my toaster oven so the skin gets a little crispy. Mm Mm!

I would still like to incorporate aspic and tendon into my repertoire, but they are too lean. I was trying to think of ways to add fat to them. With the aspic, which is just the reserved juices from slow cooking my mutton, I could eat some of the fat that coagulates on top. Perhaps even grate the reserved mutton fat on top?

For tendon, that also provides aspic with it. So perhaps I could put the tendon in a ramekin, pour the juices on top, refrigerate for aspic, then serve with grated reserved mutton fat on top.

I like when I am able to make use of almost everything. Just throwing out the bones!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts