Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Low-Residue Carnivore Diet for Gut Health- "Goldilocks Carnivore"

I have posted a few times about butyrate, and how I think that could have something to do with my gut issues. I think it causes too much bulk in the stool. That would go along with following a "low-residue" diet, which doctors prescribe for pre-colonoscopy, as well as for giving the gut a rest for those suffering from colitis and obstructions.

The idea behind a low-residue diet is to limit foods that contain fiber and dairy, that cause stool to bulk up. I have tried it once before, actually right before becoming a carnivore four and a half years ago. I lasted about four months on it before still having some gut issues and then trying carnivore.

But lately I have been having issues on carnivore too. Weight gain, gut pain, foot cramps, diarrhea. Some of the issues I think are for one, eating too lean cuts. I really enjoy eating beef tendon, but it is almost 100% protein and no fat. That is not healthy and I believe causes foot cramps and weight gain. So I need to give up beef tendon, unfortunately. Along with beef heart and beef liver. And probably beef kidney too. They are all pretty lean.

But I also need to give up the super fatty cuts too. Beef sweetbreads, which I've been having on the side of the super lean beef tendon, are very fatty, especially from the grain-fed rancher. My gut can't handle super fatty foods, even when I trim off all the visible fats, I can still get painful intestinal cramping and diarrhea. I think eating grain-fed beef is part of the issue. It is just so much fattier than grass-fed beef. It is cheaper and easier to get, but fatty cuts on grain-fed are just too fatty.

So my plan: I will try to be more careful and follow a low-residue carnivore diet. I will give up some of my favorite organ meats such as marrow fat, sweetbreads, tendon, liver, heart, kidney. And instead concentrate on cuts which are more middle-of-the-road lean/fat-wise, but still affordable, such as beef shank crosscut, meaty soup bones, tongue, oxtail, and some fish like sanma (Pacific saury), mackerel, and scad, which are pretty affordable, low-mercury, and not too fatty and not too lean.

It's "Goldilocks Carnivore". Not too fat, but not too lean. Not too expensive, but not too cheap!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts