Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Organ Meats Only Occasionally, Darn it!

I must confess, I love organ meats. Even as a kid, I just loved braunschweiger! And now, I love liver, kidneys, sweetbreads, tendon, heart. Love it all! However, I think I need to admit to myself that they are just too lean (except sweetbreads). They really can only be enjoyed very occasionally. I feel that I have just been eating too lean this last year, and I gained a few pounds because of it. Too much protein and too little fat causes higher insulin levels, just like carbs. So I feel like I need to recognize that organ meats are just meant to be eaten occasionally. 

It's too bad. I enjoy them so much, and they are so affordable! And I have to be careful with my budget now that I have taken early retirement! But I also want to be careful with my health too.

So my plan is to stick with cheaper cuts that are still decently fatty, like oxtail, sweetbreads, and tongue, from my local grain-fed rancher (can no longer afford grass-fed!), and perhaps some cheap cuts from my local grocery store too, if they have any beef under $5/lb that isn't ground.

We'll see how long I can last without having the organ meats. It is hard because I love the texture, variety, and affordability!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts