Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: More Thoughts on Butyrate; Scarcity of Grassfed Meat

I was thinking more about butyrate after eating a meal with sour cream, and having effects from that. What seems to happen for me is that when I eat fiber-containing foods such as plant foods, or high fat dairy such as butter, ghee, cream, sour cream, and cheese, my large intestine bacteria seem to go into overdrive on the butyrate and I get increased bowel movements (they are solid). There is also some pain, I assume from bloating in the colon. This has also happened when I've eaten high-fat pork items like pork belly.

So if butyrate is the problem, that explains a lot of the issues that I have had my whole life!

I do sometimes get really urgent diarrhea and painful intestinal cramping as well, and that is usually from eating visible fat like tallow or poultry fat. 

Knowing all that, it steers me towards a meat or fish based diet with no plant foods, and no visible fats or dairy. 

I want to stick with 100% grassfed beef and mutton, but it is really becoming scarce, unfortunately. My local ranchers are often sold out now. I've had to resort to locally raised grain-fed beef, but it just does not feel as satiating or nourishing. I feel like my slight weight gain might be related, although it could be menopause too.

I don't have too many options. I don't want to deal with daily colon pain, so I really don't want to have to go back to eating plant foods or dairy. I also don't want to eat grainfed beef if it isn't really nourishing or satiating. But grassfed beef is so scarce, it really isn't an option either. Affordability is a factor as well, as I've decided to take early retirement. So I need to keep costs down.

I'll keep looking for alternatives! I was thinking about the Weston A. Price Foundation's guidelines for properly prepared plant foods. Perhaps that would be one route. But I have tried that previously, and still had gut problems.

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts