Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Menopause, or Too Little Fat?; Ukrainian Traditional Foods; K2; Dairy

I recently went five months without a menses. I thought maybe I had started menopause. At almost 49 years old, it is possible. But interestingly, the day after I ate some good Icelandic cod liver (the actual liver, not oil), my menses restarted! Coincidence?

I wonder if I had just been eating too much beef tendon, (97% protein), which was causing my fat/protein ratio to be way too much on the protein side. And finally when I got some good fatty food, my reproductive system turned back on?

Not that I want to be having babies right now, but I do want to be healthy. So I might eat cod liver from time to time, and stop eating tendon, and make more of an effort to eat fattier cuts like mutton. I have picked up some other fatty cuts like beef tongue and oxtail. It is difficult, because I want to eat 100% grassfed meats, but the fatty cuts are hard to come by and very expensive!

I was reading about traditional Ukrainian foods, because my heritage is Ukrainian. They traditionally ate plenty of organ meats, pork belly/lard, and sour cream. Sounds great to me! I love all of that. And I do love sour cream. I just might try adding grassfed sour cream to lean cuts like liver or kidney. I really enjoy organ meats, but most are so darn lean! Ordinarily I don't do well with dairy. But maybe some sour cream is OK. And it would be a good source of the very important vitamin K2 MK-4, which is crucial for maintaining good teeth, bones, and cardiovascular system.

Other rich sources of MK-4 are poultry (but likely because their feed contains K2 supplement), and hard cheeses. I do love cheese, but I have slight casein intolerance and cheese really stops my digestion up. I seem to do a little better with sour cream, since it is mostly fat and much less calcium than cheese. But even butter and ghee can stop me up. The calcium in cheese causes foot cramps, or headaches, too. So it seems to be something I can't do every day.

This link has some nice charts of the K2 contents of various foods:

https://honey-guide.com/2014/03/10/menaquinones-k2-and-phylloquinone-k1-content-of-animal-products-and-fermented-foods/

I was thinking that way back in our 200,000 years of homo sapiens history, hominids actually may have come across dairy more often than you'd think, being mostly ice age hunters. I would assume from time to time they might kill a lactacting ruminant, and enjoy the udder and its contents! It wouldn't be all the time, but I would imagine it might happen with some regularity. So maybe occasional dairy is OK!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts