Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Fats, Fats, Where It's At

I've been searching for a good fat source for a while now. At first I was using 100% grassfed beef marrow, but it was just too precious a commodity. I couldn't keep it in stock and it was expensive.

I had to start using cream instead. I have been able to get 100% grassfed and grass-finished cream with A2 casein, from heritage breeds, and at least for most of the year, that seems easy to procure and not too expensive. I've been making clotted cream with it, which is fattier than just cream. It involves heating the cream over a long period, then cooling it, and retaining the thickened fatty cream that rises to the top. I save the thinner remnants to make yogurt and frozen yogurt for a friend. The clotted cream is just astonishingly delicious and works well with every kind of meal!

I'd still rather not use dairy, if possible. I feel that it might be aggravating to my keratosis pilaris (bumpy skin), and therefore might possibly be inflammatory. Luckily, knock on wood, it has not caused any gut issues, which I normally have with cultured dairy.

I'd like to try external fats (as opposed to internal fats such as suet/kidney fat). External fats have a different melting point and fatty acid profile. However, I've been having trouble finding external fat. So I'm considering trying suet again, and a different cooking process!

Previously when I tried suet, I would render in the crock-pot and strain, making tallow. The problem is that tallow is not very good for eating as a side with a meal! It is extremely waxy and unpalatable. [It can be used for making soaps and candles though!]

But I have another idea for suet! Instead of rendering it, what I might try is to just cut it into strips and roast it in the toaster oven to eat on the side of a meal. When I've tried eating the fat from beef heart (which is also internal fat, like suet), it has been excellent that way! It gets crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. So it just might work!

I'll have to ask for some from my local farmers and give it a try!

P.S. You can see some of the internal fat on the beef heart slices in the photo below. It is soft and delicious when reheated in the toaster oven:

Grassfed beef heart with homemade clotted cream and smoked salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts