Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Menses and Ketosis

I previously posted that menses suppresses ketone production. As I face that again, I am going to try to think of ways to improve ketone production during menses!

One possibility is to increase fats during menses. I have been following pretty close to 75%/25% fat/protein. Perhaps during menses it might be good to increase the fats up to 80/20 or even 85/15!

A second option is to do increased caloric restriction. I currently do a regular 17% caloric restriction according to this handy calculator: http://scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html. But possibly skipping dinners during menses might be a good way to increase ketone production and lower glucose.

Also, one could increase exercise. This is something I have been planning on doing anyway. Not only for the health aspect, but also because I want fewer menses! Higher exercise levels seemed to keep it away longer. I had been doing ballet, but had to stop for a while due to not having the space for it. But now I have space again and plan on restarting today!

Another benefit of exercise is reduced bodyfat. Since eating dairy for six weeks, even though I stopped almost two weeks ago, my bodyfat has been just ever so much higher (15.7% instead of 14.9%). Exercise should help keep that lower. I'd really like to shoot for 12%, if possible! I want to move from the bodybuilding "smooth" stage to the really cut stage, and for that I have to get under 15% bodyfat!

So I think that I might try a combination of all three methods. I'll report back!

Grassfed oxtail with smoked salt





Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts