Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Dropping Iodine, Adding Unrefined Salt, Fermented Dairy, Affordable Wild Fish, and Fermented Veggies?

I tried many days of applying 2% iodine tincture to my body in hopes that might help me drop the five pounds I have gained in the last year and a half. However, it didn't seem to do anything except trigger my menses to start again after just two weeks since the last one! So I am quitting applying iodine.

The next thing I am trying is picking salt back up. About two years ago I had quit salt, then about six months later I inexplicably gained five pounds. Perhaps it was the salt? So I am going to try eating it again. I am using unrefined Himalayan salt with no other additives. I will post back on how it goes.

I am almost five years into carnivore. Amazing! However, as 100% grassfed meat becomes scarcer and more expensive, and I am now on a retirement budget, I am venturing into 100% grassfed A2 casein cultured raw dairy as well as my usual 100% grassfed beef. I also am dipping into trying some organic plants, such as butternut squash. 

I think one of my main gut issues is with fructans and sugars. Unfortunately these are in all plants. However, I have read studies that show fermentation can greatly reduce both fructans and sugars. Basically, the bacteria pre-digest the fructans and sugars for you!

I think that is why I have been doing ok gut-wise with dairy, as long as it is fermented/cultured and doesn't have added gums. But when I had milk that wasn't cultured, I had gut pain.

I have been making ряжанка (ryazhanka), fermented baked milk. I slow cook the milk 12 hours, then add sour cream starter cultures, and let it sit another 12 hours. So delicious! And a very affordable and nutritious meal. The local, 100% grassfed raw milk is just US$8 per gallon, which gives me a full 8 servings of ryazhanka!

I also seemed to do well with the local raw dairy cheese and cultured butter. I just slice it very thin together and that makes a nice, easy, affordable meal.

I am going to try fermenting some vegetables too. I ordered some additive-free Lactobacillus plantarum, which is used to make sourdough starter and sauerkraut. I will pick up some organic squash from a local farm today, just $1.80 per pound, and try fermenting it. 

I will post back on how it goes! The Lactobacillus plantarum is very pricey, at $50 per ounce! But if it allows me to eat vegetables without gut pain, that might help my overall budget a bit. Otherwise I am relying on cheap cuts such as kidney, heart, tongue, and shank.

I found wild caught round scad available very affordably at an Asian grocery. Just $5 for 5 servings! So I will try to include that regularly for vitamin D. Pacific saury is another great, cheap, high fat fish too.

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts