Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Iodine

I gave up salt a few years ago. I had been using unrefined sea salt. I was having trouble with foot cramping and diarrhea. So I stopped using it. 

Yesterday I ate a can of grassfed beef that had salt added (I assume iodized salt). Interestingly, my weight dropped a pound this morning! Which got me thinking about iodine.

I thought about iodine last year. I had suddenly gained a few pounds, and was trying to pinpoint it. I ordered some blood tests and found very low levels of thyroid hormones, clinically "hypothyroid". So I tried eating seafood for a while, but I think I was eating too low fat and that therefore didn't help. I kind of gave in and just settled with being about five pounds heavier.

But this new weight loss after eating salt makes me wonder, am I still hypothyroid? I continue to have symptoms. For example, I have had fainting. And depressive episodes. And fatigue. And irregular menses. I had chalked it all up to perimenopause. But now I wonder if it is really hypothyroidism!

I am going to try and up my iodine intake. I don't like iodized salt (it often has additives like dextrose). So after doing some research, I am going to try applying tincture of iodine to my skin. That way it won't interfere with my digestion, and my body will absorb as much as it needs!

I will post back on my progress, if I have any more weight loss or other improvements.

I gave up dairy yesterday, so that should help too. I am back to eating 100% grassfed beef cheap cuts (retirement budget, under US$5/lb!), such as crosscut shank, tongue, kidney, heart, sweetbreads, and a little ground beef. I am also going to try adding some affordable wild seafood (keeping it under $5/lb).

I had some iodine-povidone swabs so I used those today. My skin is sucking that iodine right up! So although I don't think I need or want salt, I do think I need iodine!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts