Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Finds at International Grocery Stores

Keto Carnivory

Finds at International Grocery Stores

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to two different international grocery stores. One had halal goat meat, and it actually looks to have some fat on it! They also had frozen whole herring, which I have never been able to find before anywhere, and lamb cuts and whole quail!

The second store is one I have been to quite a few times before. They have a great selection of pork, including some specialty cuts that I really enjoy, such as pork belly, skin with fat attached, and knuckles. They also have beef and lamb hotpot slices, oxtail, and a huge assortment of seafood. I picked up some mackerel and Pacific saury (aka pike mackerel or sanma). Sanma is great because you can grill it whole, and even eat the intestines although they are a little bitter. 

I also picked up some dried shrimp for snacking and to share with my cat. He goes nuts for them! I have transitioned him to eating a close to zero-carb diet as well, and he is starting to lose some of his paunch. It's good to see! He's been eating Young Again Zero Mature dry food along with Tiki Chicken and Egg wet food. The Tiki brand "Luau" range is zero carb, comprised of just meat, sunflower oil, and vitamins/minerals. The Young Again dry food is mostly just meat, but they do add some gum and fiber, which seems bad to me, then also added probiotics to help digest the unnecessarily added fiber. To me, that puts a lot of strain on a cat's delicate digestion. I'd like to transition him to the wholly zero carb food if he would go for that. I wish that Tiki used tuna oil instead of sunflower oil in the Luau range, since omega 6 fatty acids aren't normal for cats to be eating. They do have an "After Dark" range, that is purely zero carb and has no added oils, and contains organ meats too! But he didn't like the one that I got. I might try more in that range next time though!

Getting back to human food, I will be picking up two whole grass-finished lamb shares this coming Saturday, which is just in time as I finish up the last few roasts of my whole sheep share! A friend is buying one third of the lamb though, so it will definitely not last me through the winter while waiting for Spring lambs. 

So instead, I am considering just buying meat and fish from the local international groceries instead of doing the sheep and lamb full shares. It is pretty convenient. However, the whole sheep and lamb shares are much more economical, and also healthier, since they are locally raised and 100% grassfed and grass-finished. So maybe I will do a combination of both!


##








Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts