Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Inflammation and Intolerance

Keto Carnivory

Inflammation and Intolerance

It's funny how long it takes sometimes to figure out how one's own body works.

For example it took me my whole life to figure out that I have trouble with plant matter! And I'm still not really sure what exactly it is in them that is the problem. I think it is fructans, but there are so many other possible triggers like fiber, tannins, etc. that it too difficult to pinpoint. 

Also I am learning that there is a difference between intolerance and inflammation.

Whatever exactly is my problem with plant matter, it is an intolerance. I can eat it, and it will cause gut issues for days, and often subsequent brain-related issues as well, mostly depression. I also think I have developed an egg intolerance as well, and I definitely have a casein intolerance.

Whereas there are some meats that I can eat and find incredibly appetizing, but just seem to cause inflammation for me, such as pork and poultry. They do not affect my gut or my brain, but seem to cause other health issues.

I notice the inflammation right away because my weight will suddenly increase by a pound or two, when usually it holds rock steady. I think this sudden weight increase is from water retention from the inflammation.

Another symptom of inflammation for me is an increase in blood pressure. I found that my ordinarily very low blood pressure will increase when I eat inflammatory meats.

And another symptom is a dramatic increase in blood triglycerides. When I ate a pork-based ketogenic carnivore diet, my triglycerides were very high. 

As soon as I switched to a red meat, beef and lamb based carnivore diet, my triglycerides were outstanding, and my blood pressure dropped and steadily stayed at a very low range.

I believe pork, poultry, and eggs are just too high in omega 6 fatty acids and that is what causes the inflammation for me. So I think it is best for me to stick with beef, lamb, and wild caught fish. 

Here's a good table that shows the omega 6:3 ratio for meats:

Fatty grassfed beef is 4.8:1 omega 6 to omega 3 fatty acids. Lamb is 1.5:1. Goat is 5:1. Bison is 2.5:1. These are all very good. (Kangaroo is also very good, at 2.5:1.)

However, chicken thigh is 15.8:1! Eggs are 12.4:1! Pork belly is 10.5:1. Duck is 51:1! These are very high in omega 6 fatty acids. And for me, I can feel the difference! I seem to get pretty ill after eating poultry and eggs, and as I mentioned I have weight gain, higher blood pressure and higher triglycerides from inflammatory foods as well.

Wild caught fish is excellent in omega 6:ratio, being very high in omega 3 fatty acids and quite low in omega 6's. It is important to avoid fish canned with oil besides its own oil, since most oils have a bad omega 6:3 ratio.

So I think for me, I will stick with fatty grassfed beef, grassfed lamb/mutton, and wild caught fish so I can feel my best!

##






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts