Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Variety; Issues with Dairy

Keto Carnivory

Variety; Issues with Dairy

Although most people think that eating just plain unseasoned meat would be "boring", it really isn't! For one, there are many different kinds of meat. I try to mainly focus on red meats, since they are the healthiest. So mostly grass-finished lamb or mutton, since it is also the fattiest, and hence best for a ketogenic ratio.  To a lesser degree, grass-finished beef, since it still is high in nutrients, but usually too lean for my needs. From time to time I enjoy some pork, but I try to not have it too often as it raises my triglycerides and is high in inflammatory omega 6 fatty acids. Also, pork is not as good for environment as grass-finished ruminant animals. But it is a nice treat here and there.

I enjoy fish from time to time as well. But I am realizing the effect of our pollution on seafood. For one, every time I get squid now there are pieces of plastic inside it. That is really upsetting. So as much as I love seafood, I do not eat it very often for that reason. They are swimming in a sea of plastics now, unfortunately.

I read that 90% of sea salt contains microplastics. So I stopped eating salt. I actually feel much better now. I was suffering from diarrhea pretty often, and I haven't since, knock on wood! So I think it was from the salt (which now I realize, could have been full of microplastics!).

I also enjoy all the organ meats when I buy full shares of lamb and sheep. Lamb heart, liver, kidneys, sweetbreads (thymus and pancreas), they are really mild and delicious when slow cooked overnight in an empty slow-cooker. I also enjoy beef oxtail and pigs feet when I can get them. The collagen breaks down into a wonderful sticky, meaty, savory treat. I find the variety wonderful!

I also wanted to talk about casein a bit. I know most people are aware of lactose in dairy, and that if a person is lactose intolerant, then they will have gut issues from eating dairy. I am not lactose intolerant. However, I am casein intolerant. I have actually had tests taken for both. (I also had a gluten test and was fine with that, surprisingly).

Casein is a protein in all dairy, and can cause not only gut issues, but skin issues and brain issues as well. For me I get all three. Dairy aggravates my keratosis pilaris (bumpy skin), causes gut discomfort and constipation, and puts me in a very dark mood. These symptoms last for two to three days after I have had dairy of any kind.

You will read that butter and ghee are lower in casein, but I find that I still have problems with them too. People will say that A2 casein is better, well it is not for me. Or that raw milk is better, but not so for me.

Cheese is especially bad for me. On Saturday, I had to eat out for two meals, and since it is sometimes quite difficult to find a place to eat out that can offer just plain meat, and burgers tend to be too lean, I ordered cheeseburgers and requested that the meat have no seasoning. Well, they did correctly not season the meat, but I still suffered a really bad mood for three days and couldn't figure out why. Then I realized I had three slices of cheese! And that really played a number on my brain. Casein brain! It's not a good place to be! 

Casein has been linked to schizophrenia, bipolar, autism, ADHD, and other brain disorders. I can't believe what just three slices of cheese on Saturday did to me. It was really, really devastating. I cried almost all day long on Sunday! I felt in the absolute pit of despair. And I am not an emotional person usually!

It lasted until Tuesday afternoon. That is usually how long it takes for something that bothers my gut to totally clear out of my system. So that's what made me think perhaps it was something I ate. It could possibly be there were seasonings in the beef that I didn't notice, but I am usually pretty good about tasting that.

So as wonderfully tempting as dairy is, I just cannot have it ever. I do not want to pay that price again! And I should not eat out ever either. I just cannot take the chance of having someone else cook food for me! It's just not worth it to fall into that pit of despair again!

##



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts