Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivory: Beef Offal

I met my favorite local beef rancher on his farm this weekend and got some good beef offal: heart, kidney, tongue, tail, and my favorite cut of all meats: sweetbreads!

Sweetbreads are the pancreas and thymus, and are rich in vitamin C and nutritious fat. They are soft in texture, unlike muscle meat. More like scallops than like meat!

I prepare them by parboiling, removing the membrane, and tearing them into pieces and roasting them on a tray in the toaster oven. You can also put them on skewers and grill them. They are really, really mild and succulent and tasty! A real delight and delicacy.

For the kidney, tongue, and tail, I just put them all in an empty slow cooker for 12 hours. They come out wonderfully!

The heart I have been reserving for making a simple unsalted jerky. I use a good slicing knife, make super-thin slices, and put them in the dehydrator for 12 hours. I store the pieces in the freezer for extra crispiness, although they never last long because I have zero self control around it! Just zero.

It turns out that I won't be getting more lamb this coming weekend after all, because I can't get down to meet the farmer. But I still have a good amount of roasts to tide me over for the month at least. Then I'll have to figure out what to do next!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts