Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Muscle Definition and Other Health Parameters

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I am on a mission to get my bodyfat low enough for "cut"/"ripped" stage in bodybuilding, with very nice muscle definition. I have been maintaining 15% bodyfat for over a year now since being zero carb keto. I measure with a bodyfat scale plus also U.S. Navy bodyfat calculators. Fifteen percent is a really low bodyfat for a 45 year old female, however, it's still somewhat at the "smooth" stage, with little muscle definition.

So the last few weeks, I've been increasing my exercise and restricting my calorie intake to try and break below that 15% mark. I'm starting to see some more definition, and the tape measure is showing a little positive change too! So that's great!

One thing I realized too is that most bodybuilders tan their skin aggressively which helps for defining the muscles. I am white-white-white! So that's not helping! I do spend time in the sun as much as I can, but with an office job, and living in the midwest, it's not doing much for tanning. I don't want to go to a tanning salon. I'm hesitant to use self tanning lotions for quite a few reasons, one of which is that I am chemically sensitive. Also they can make a mess of your clothes and sheets!

I'll just keep working on it and hopefully it won't take too much longer to see more definition!

I wanted to mention some other health parameters with which I've been testing besides bodyfat! I check my fasting glucose and blood ketones every few days. My fasting glucose is usually between 60-70mg/dl (3-4mmol/l). My blood ketone levels are usually between 3-4mmol/l as well! So that's an excellent glucose to ketone ratio, which Dr Thomas Seyfried recommends for therapeutic purposes. (I am using zero carb keto as therapy for colitis.) My postprandial levels are usually pretty close to those too!

Blood pressure is good to check regularly. My blood pressure is usually quite good, 95/75 mm Hg (or 12.6/10 kPa).

Also, some markers of inflammation are good to check from time to time, such as hs-CRP, SED (ESR), homocysteine and complete blood count. My results have all been great!

HDL and vitamin D levels are also good to check, and A1C and TSH (thyroid) levels. I've also recently got a CT heart scan and trivascular scan as well, and all those results have been really good too!

There's also an OmegaCheck, LDL particle size test. LP-IR (insulin resistance) test, and Lp(a). I've done all of these too and gotten great results!

You can order these tests yourself online, no need for a doctor. I've been using lifeextension.com for lab tests (their Omega/NMR package is a great deal!) and some home tests through homehealthtesting.com.  Check your local heart centers for low cost heart and vascular scans. There are often kiosks for blood pressure testing at pharmacies, and some workplaces have them too. You can check your blood glucose and blood ketones using home meters.

Here's to your good health!

Grassfed beef brisket with sea salt flakes




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts