Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Calorie Restriction Without Deprivation

Most people would understandably not want to attempt calorie restriction. With such cheap and plentiful food today, why hold back? Plus, when one is a sugar-burner, you tend to be hungry all the time!

However, there are so many positives to calorie restriction, that I really think it is worth doing. Researchers have learned that calorie restriction keeps animals alive longer, and they will also be healthier, slimmer, and more robust than when totally free eating, as long as their nutritional needs are met.

The good news is, that if you are a fat-burner as opposed to a sugar-burner, calorie restriction is much easier! I find that following a ketogenic diet with a roughly 75/25 fat/protein ratio allows me to feel quite full, even with a caloric deficit. I have been able to maintain 15% bodyfat for a year now, which is fairly low for a woman my age, with roughly a 13% caloric restriction. I don't get hungry, and I don't need to snack. And I am getting all of my necessary nutrients!

It is important to weigh one's food, otherwise we can easily eat too freely. It helps to use a food scale that has a tare function to account for your plate, and calculate down to the gram. With ribs and other foods where there will be some waste, I weigh before I eat, then weigh the waste, to get the actual amount eaten. Beware - with foods that very rich in fat, such as marrow, beef short ribs, lamb ribs, and sweetbreads, just very small pieces pack quite a lot of calories!

I recommend using nutritional tracking software such as Cron-o-meter to make sure you are keeping your calories where you want, without sacrificing nutrition. Then you can use a caloric restriction calculator to see how much caloric restriction you are actually doing. I like this one: http://scientificpsychic.com/health/cron1.html 

I know that our homo sapiens ancestors in the Ice Age didn't have food scales, but they also didn't have such cheap and prolific food. They naturally had to practice calorie restriction! But with enough fat, (and sea salt!) there is no feeling of hunger or deprivation. Just fullness and health!

Grassfed lamb ribs with smoked salt






Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts