Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Cuts

To remain in ketosis, it is necessary to keep fat intake high and protein low. Since I follow a zero carb diet, I don't have any carbs at all. So that means I strive for a roughly 75/25 fat/protein ratio in my meals. I accomplish this by eating cuts of meat that naturally have that ratio, or by adding marrow to leaner cuts.

Let me highlight some cuts which are naturally at a ketogenic ratio. The ratio will be shown in fat/protein. I won't list any dairy products, which I've found to be problematic for me.
Beef
Short ribs 80/20
Beef tongue 71/29
Beef sweetbreads (thymus and pancreas) 71/29
Lamb
Ribs 76/24
Tongue 70/30
Sablefish 71/29
*Pork
Jowl 95/4
Belly 92/8
Tail 82/18
*Egg Yolk 80/18

Some other cuts which are decently high in fat, but will still need a little extra fat to reach the ideal ratio:
Beef
Chuck roast
Steaks
Ground beef 
Brisket with 1/2" fat cap (processors tend to cut off most of the fat cap, unfortunately!) 
Tail
Lamb
Chops 
Ground lamb
*Pork
Feet
Cracklins (pork skin with fat attached)
*Chicken
Hen
Wings
*Whole Eggs

*I personally do not recommend pork or poultry, more in a later post. 

After I had been eating ketogenic for a while, I could start to tell when a food was high enough in fat or not. If it is extremely fatty, rich tasting, and hard to eat more than a few bites of, then it is keto!

I was surprised at how lean most meats are now! It's really hard to find fatty cuts! One reason is that animals have been bred to be leaner because of the prevailing lowfat craze. Also, processors are cutting fat off of meats, too. For example, beef brisket used to come with a very thick fat cap on it. Now, you'd be lucky to get any fat at all on it!

Many places don't even carry higher fat cuts. I didn't list brains, because it is extremely difficult to procure brains due to mad cow disease. Beef brain is a very high fat cut which historically would have been highly sought, much like marrow.

So I also enjoy leaner cuts, such as a very small piece of beef filet, or wild-caught fish, but add marrow to it to reach the ideal ratio. Delectable!!

Fear not fat!

Grassfed beef filet with roasted marrow

 

 




Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts