Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Experimenting with Raw Marrow

I mentioned in an earlier post about a book I had read that recommended eating marrow less cooked than usual, to retain all the vital nutrients. I know that I enjoy raw steak (carpaccio), so I thought I would try raw marrow!

I always purchase 100% grassfed beef and marrow bones. There actually is a big difference between 100% grassfed, and grain-finished or grain-fed beef. I've even noticed a big difference in the kind of grass in 100% grassfed beef! But 100% grassfed is especially important because it is what ruminants are meant to be eating, so they will be healthier themselves. The fats from their marrow and meat are more nutritious and less greasy.

To experiment with raw marrow, I thawed out some 100% grassfed marrow bones, and using a butterknife and a skewer, I worked at pushing the marrow out of the bones. It was much harder work than when they are roasted! However, the product was a beautiful, healthy pink marrow, with a wonderful creamy texture and mildly sweet flavor!

I've been serving a little on the side of the meats that need extra fat to reach the ketogenic ratio. It is really delicious! And I appreciate the fact that it is more nutritious as well!

Grassfed ground beef with raw beef marrow and smoked salt


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts