Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

The True Staff of Life - Salt!

I just want to reflect for a moment on the importance of salt.

Along with the low-fat religion we were told to follow, there was also a parallel low-salt religion as well. "Salt is terrible for your blood pressure!" they'd say. "Snacking on salty foods makes you fat!" they'd say.  It seemed the goal was to try and reduce your salt intake down to nothing, practically!

But there is a huge problem with that - salt is vital to life! Not only is salt needed for our central nervous system and neuron activity, but also for our digestive system! So not enough salt, means altered nervous system function and weak digestion!

Salt is the only condiment that I use, since herbs and spices aggravate my gut. Salt, however, makes everything run smoothly and keeps me feeling strong! I've discovered many different kinds of salt, which add interesting variety to my meat and fats.

Some of the specialty salts which I like to use:
  • pink Himalayan salt - mild flavor, texture, and presence
  • flaked sea salt - mild flavor, great crunchy texture, beautiful presentation
  • smoked salts - outstanding flavor, exciting presentation
I've also tried Hawaiian clay salt, black salt, and gray salt. These are interesting to use occasionally, but my favorite salts are still the flaked and smoked. And for even further variety, within smoked salts, there is cherry wood smoked, alder smoked, juniper smoked, etc. The difference in the flavors is really amazing!

I have noticed how important it is for me to get enough salt in my diet. Otherwise, my legs feel heavy, I get muscle cramps, my digestion slows. When I salt generously, all is well! Now I see why Roman soldiers were paid in salt!

For more on the fascinating history of salt, explore here:
https://www.seasalt.com/salt-101/history-of-salt

Grassfed beef sweetbreads with smoked salt

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts