Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: 3 Years Carnivore, Lessons Learned Continued

In yesterday's post, I wrote about the lessons I have learned from being a strict carnivore for over three years and off and on for ten years. Mainly, stick with fatty red meat, with lamb/mutton being best for me. Use no supplements or spices or even salt.

I also wanted to mention that while at first I was using blood ketone and glucose testing strips, I came to realize that it was so consistent all the time, I really didn't need to worry about it. 

Also for the first few years I was self-ordering all kinds of blood panels, including cholesterol, particle size, CRP, A1C, hormones, you name it. I checked my blood pressure all the time too. 

Once I stuck with red meat and avoided pork, poultry, eggs, and dairy, I found it was unnecessary to keep checking all of my health parameters, because they were consistently great! When doing my second cardiovascular ultrasound scan, they even told me, "You really don't need to keep coming in." So that's great!

I don't see a doctor, and I don't even have a doctor. The one I did have years ago fired me when I refused to take statins after showing that I had a perfect CT heart scan and cardiovascular ultrasound score. I realized that doctors are really nothing but drug dealers nowadays. So if you don't want to be a junkie, they have no use for you, nor I for them!

I do see a dentist twice a year for a cleaning. My old school dentist is happy to have that simple cleaning twice a year from me and doesn't try to upsell me with anything. He has praised me on my good dental hygiene for ten years. I just use baking soda, not toothpaste, and floss. It makes a big difference to not eat carbs and sugar!

Like other carnivores, I have realized that omega 6 fatty acids make you sunburn! So once those are out of your system, your chances of sunburn are much lower under normal (on-land) conditions. However, if you are in/on water, the reflective surfaces make your possibility of sunburn much higher even without omega 6s.

Another lesson learned is how hard it is to find well-fitting clothes! After getting down to 14% bodyfat, I had to buy an entirely new wardrobe. 

A wonderful effect of the keto carnivore diet is the leveling out of energy and mental focus throughout the day. No more spikes and crashes! No more irritability or "hangry" feeling! And no more menstrual pain either! So that has all been such a great improvement in my life. I feel like I think much more clearly. 

Also I had to learn what to do with so much free time! I didn't realize how much time I had been spending on preparing meals, eating them, cleaning up after them, shopping for them, thinking about them. Life is soooo much easier now! I don't go to the grocery store ever except if I want some wild-caught mollusks or crustaceans, or maybe carbonated water. I just put meat in a slow cooker or the toaster oven, and eat it. Often without even cutlery or sitting down!

Speaking of carbonated water, that is the only thing I drink besides regular water and very small amounts of plain vodka for socializing. I do not drink coffee or tea or flavored seltzer. Just plain water or plain seltzer.

I learned that eating out is not only a waste of money, but is fraught with peril. Nine times out of 10 they will not honor my requests for no spices. Then rather than cause a scene, I eat it anyway, then I get gut issues from it. So I have just stopped eating out entirely. It is not enjoyable in any way and I don't like watching others stuff their faces full of carbs either. So I just don't go out! Anything I make at home is going to be much better quality, having come straight from my favorite local ranchers!

It does cause some socializing problems, because most people rely on food and drink for entertainment. It is hard to come up with a way to socialize that does not include eating or drinking. So that has been a little ostracizing. But it is worth it to me to feel good and be healthy, after suffering my entire life, from childhood, with Crohn's disease!

I am always surprised when I hear about other carnivores who don't bring their children up with carnivore. I don't have children, but I just couldn't bear to see them eat things that I know are so harmful. Like birthday cake! How about some nice grilled scallops or a ribeye? That is a real celebration!

I also learned that everything you have ever heard about health or the environment is basically totally backwards! Fatty red meat is the healthiest thing you can eat, improving all health parameters. Whereas whole grains, vegetables, fruits, and fiber are actually deleterious, containing many toxic compounds that can cause leaky gut, inflammation, mental issues.

Ruminant animal fat is good for you, providing you with essential fatty acids and micronutrients. Vegetable oils including olive and coconut oil, are not helpful. They do not contain essential vitamins like retinol, vitamin K, and vitamin D. Also most vegetable oils are very high in omega 6 fatty acids which cause inflammation and even potentially lead to cancer.

Eating lots of snacks all day is actually bad. You should fast as much as possible to allow for autophagy (cell recycling) to occur.

Ruminant animals are actually the only natural way to save the environment, sequester carbon, change inedible and otherwise unusable grasslands into high quality, health-giving protein for humans. While tillage agriculture raising soybeans, grains and vegetables for vegetarian diets actually causes massive death of the soil biome and erosion, eventually leading to desertification! Vegetarian diets actually kill far more animal lives.

Exercise has really nothing to do with weight loss, only a change in diet will really have any effect, unless you are exercising six hours a day!

You don't need to drink six gallons of water a day! Just drink when you are thirsty and don't worry about it. You'll know when you are thirsty, then drink water.

And don't worry about salt. It is not harmful. If you feel you need it, have some. If you don't need it, don't use it. Flavorful meat actually doesn't need it as it will be brimming with micronutrients and minerals.

All of these were a big shock to me to discover, after having been told the opposite my whole life!

##



Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts