Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Repercussions of Omega 6

I realized after about the first year of carnivore that relying on pork and eggs was a bad idea. My triglycerides were super high, my blood pressure was a little high. I knew something was just not right.

Then I started exploring omega 6 fatty acids, and discovered that pork, poultry, and eggs are very high in omega 6 fatty acids. Pork is especially high, even prized pasture-raised pork, heritage breeds like Mangalitsa or Iberico, or even wild boar.

So I decided to switch to just red meats and wild-caught seafoods, and all of my health parameters greatly improved! I felt much better as well. I found that of the red meats, lamb and mutton fall naturally in a ketogenic ratio, and are the most easily digested of red meats as well.

So I bought a small chest freezer and I stock up on whole lamb shares when they are available. Almost every single cut on a lamb or sheep, besides the organ meats, falls naturally within a ketogenic ratio. And also, lamb and mutton has a perfect omega 6:3 ratio of just 2:1.

I also have occasional wild-caught small crustaceans and mollusks. I was eating other wild-caught seafood as well until I had a blood mercury test and found that my mercury level was very high. So now I only eat very low-mercury foods such as scallops and shrimp.

I had purchased some gourmet pork last year in the hopes that maybe it would be healthier than the pasture-raised pork I buy from local farmers. I purchased some acorn-fed Ibericus pork, and some Mangalitsa pork. But I still found after eating them, that I do not feel as well I do when eating red meat. I feel a very slight sore throat, which I believe is a sign of inflammation from the omega 6 fatty acids.

I hate to just throw out my freezer full of gourmet pork, though! So I am cooking it up and sharing it with a friend. I need to clear out my freezer in anticipation of moving to a new house next month!

I did find that my favorite local beef rancher also raises hogs and feeds them mostly the whey from his grassfed dairy cows. So that pork might actually be fairly low in omega 6 fatty acids. The omega 6's generally come from nuts, seeds, and grains. So that incorporates into the meat as well. The same with poultry. Birds in the wild eat a lot of worms and insects, not really much grains and seeds. They are also much, much thinner in the wild than the gargantuan versions that humankind have bred. There's really not much meat on wild poultry at all!

At any rate, I will finish up my gourmet pork then get back to lamb when my favorite local rancher has more in July. I will continue to get beef from my local grassfed beef rancher, and maybe try some of his whey-fed pork. It would be interesting to find a way to test omega 6:3 ratios in food and see how it compares to the gourmet pork!

##

Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts