Skip to main content

Featured

Question and Answer Page!

I thought it might be nice to set up a Question and Answer page for people that might have questions, comments, or support regarding following a zero carb keto diet! Note that I am not a doctor, this is not medical advice, just my own personal opinion! And of course, please keep comments respectful and civil! To participate, please click "Enter Your Comment" under the Comments area below on this page. Then I will get a notification and can reply to you! You will be given an option to receive notification by email of any followup replies to your comment. Thank you for reading! Grassfed lamb ribs with sea salt

Keto Carnivore: Three Years Carnivore, Lessons Learned

I've been strict carnivore over three years now, and off and on for about 10 years now. Time flies!

In my strict carnivore years, I have learned to base my diet on red meats, specifically fatty beef and lamb/mutton. Lamb and mutton work best for me digestion-wise, and are naturally in a ketogenic ratio so no added fats are needed! And then there are a few cuts of beef that are naturally fatty enough too, such as oxtail, tongue, brisket, and some ground beef. Ribeye can work too but is more expensive so I don't have it very often.

I buy 100% grassfed / grass-finished beef and lamb directly from local ranchers. I get great prices that way (under $8/lb) and I enjoy seeing their ranches and interacting directly with who is producing my food. And I like knowing that I am helping to support what they are doing, because they are stewards of the earth!

I learned after the first year of carnivore to avoid dairy, even butter, because it causes gut issues, skin problems, and depression for me. I also learned to avoid pork, poultry, and eggs, because the high omega 6 fatty acid content gave me high triglycerides, high blood pressure, and made me feel less healthy in general.

I immediately lost about 25-30 lbs on carnivore, and have kept it off for the three years since. I am at 14% bodyfat and 17 BMI. My blood panel results are all excellent, except for high LDL (but I have familial hypercholesterolemia), my heart and cardiovascular scans have been perfect scores, and my telomere testing says that while i am 47 years old, I have the DNA of a 33 year old! So that is all great.

In the last six months, I stopped using salt. I discovered that it was causing me to have diarrhea, actually. After I stopped using it I immediately felt much better. I think it was just more electrolytes than I needed anymore! I never have used any supplements at all on carnivore. I do eat organ meats and offal, including kidney, heart, sweetbreads, oxtail, and occasionally lamb liver and testes.

Also, in the last six months, I got my cat on a zero-carb/carnivore diet as well! He has been eating Tiki brand After Dark series and occasionally the Luau series too, along with freeze-dried chicken to tide him over while I am out. He lost all of his paunch and his temperament and coat are so much improved!

##


Comments

Would you try (or do you already follow) a zero carb keto diet?

Total Pageviews

Popular Posts